Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw Bob Pauli's helpful reminder--via Grandpa Spey--to hydrate, and wanted to mention something that you may or may not know: that drinking too much plain water is as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than drinking too little. Drinking lots of water on a hot day can deplete your electrolyes in a matter of hours, and that can lead to heart failure or stroke. I used to fish the Deschutes like a madman in June and July, and noticed that I was getting serious headaches after a long day of fishing. Not enough water, I thought. So I drank more. Headaches got worse and exhaustion increased: it would take a day or two to recover from a day of fishing. Finally called the doctor and described my symptoms, and she recognized it immediately as electrolyte depletion, which can be fatal, especially when you try to ease your symptoms by drinking more water. So, when you hydrate on those hot days, drink a sports beverage of some sort, and replace your electrolytes along with your precious bodily fluids.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cytomax powder in water (available at health food stores that cater to the exercise crowd) is fantastic for this purpose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suffer from a Kidney disease that causes extreme dehydration for several year's have found that the sport drinks help ,they also can also cause other problems. If your heart is already rapid adding sugar without medical supervision may cause an even faster heart beat.
I carry water and a product called gasteryde. seems to work for me.
the first symptom for me that I'm getting into trouble is that I am no longer thirsty I notice that my eyesight is noticeably worse ,mild headache, next stage rapid heartbeat, panting, vertigo, exhaustion. If I get this far it usually means I'm on my way to see some white coats

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also, it is best to prehydrate, rather than try and catch up after you are dehydrated. Drink water or your other choice, before hand. Just one bottle can help. But try and maintain the water consumption during the day. My test is my cheek. When hydrated, a pinch of it is slightly fuller than when dehydrated.
Don

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
And from what I understand, the symptoms of over-hydration are pretty much identical to dehydration... disorientation, headache, weakness, etc...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And from what I understand, the symptoms of over-hydration are pretty much identical to dehydration... disorientation, headache, weakness, etc...
Yes, that's right. What's really strange about this is that up until about 6 or 7 years ago, it wasn't a widely recognized problem, even among doctors. Then a couple of high-profile over-hydration fatalities (a biker and marathon runner if memory serves) made the news, and the word got out.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob,

If memory serves, urination frequency is about what you would expect: lots of water goes in, lots of water goes out. It's much easier to overhydrate in very hot weather, since you're losing electrolytes not only through urination but through sweat as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts