Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best place to pose this question but I've got a friend who has an older Hyde boat for $3,500 including trailer, oars, etc. I've know him for years and he takes very good care of his equipment. My question is it worth it for this amount compared to the other boats out there on the market? I'm in the midwest area and we don't have whitewater issues to deal with. Doing an internet search on Hyde vs Clacka for example, 90% seem to like the Clacka over the Hyde's but I'm open for all opinions.

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer as I'm either going to build a drift boat or seriously look at this one.

T.

·
Registered
23 Posts
3,500 seems reasonable depending on condition. I'd row a Hyde anyday over a Clack...That's just me though.
Everyone is a fanboy for the particular boat/company.

·
Registered
983 Posts
hyde vs. clacka is like ford vs. chevy. Both are good boats...both have their cheerleaders.
$3500 isn't a bad price..how old is it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Depends on what the bottom/Chines look like. If he takes good care then these are probably in decent shape. Also, what storage options he has for seating and storage. I bought an almost 10yr old hyde ship for more than that and it has 3 bench seats with storage. Have put a few bucks into redoing the bottom myself but its easily worth that amount. If I tried to sell line it would be for closer to $4500 (I was considering it a while back to get a boulder).

A buddy has a clacka and I think they are similar enough that it doesn't make a huge difference. Actually, I think oar type and length and positioning make the biggest difference. I don't like the Gulf Stream bottom on the clackas because it would be difficult to redo the bottom yourself.

That all said, I also live on the right coast so drift boats aren't the most common around here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your thoughts and I'm taking a friend over to look at it as he used to own a Hyde. I'll check out the details and especially look over the bottom along with the trailer. He's stored it under a covered roof during the time he's not using it so I'm "thinking" it would work for what I want to use it for.

Regards,

T.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hyde vs. clacka

I floated a Hyde boat for seven years, it was a nice boat. I am now floating a Clacka for the past seven years. It is also a nice boat. Each have their good points and bad.

The Hyde boat had metal storage seats and the Clacka has the fiberglass storage seats. The metal seats are more durable and will handle that heavy duty fishing buddy you might have in the boat. The Hyde boat also had the false floor. This seemed to make the boat floor stouter.

With the additional material in the Hyde boat, it made the boat heavier; the Clacka craft is several pounds lighter. I keep a cable through the wheel spokes and around the frame. This boat would be much easier to steal that the Hyde.
As for handling on the water, I don’t see one being better than the other. I float the Salmon River in Idaho as well as the Snake River South Fork. Another fun river is the Salt River in Star Valley Wyoming. Both boats handled great on all of these waters.

I think the $3500 is a good price for the boat. Used boats go for a lot more around these parts. There is always going to be some damage along the chines of the boat. It is inevitable to avoid some damage if the boats have been in any river with rocks. Check the bottom for obvious damage such as a repaired hole, the seats will have normal wear. One more thing to look for…worm guts stomped into the carpet/slip resistant coating. YUK!! :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I bought an older used Hyde fairly recently too. Boat is in super shape for its age and I paid $3400 for the works. I too think your buddies boat sounds fairly priced if it's in decent shape. I really don't think there's huge differences in handling from a Hyde to a Clacka. A high side does handle much differently though than a low profile. Good luck in your quest

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
How old are you or your expected passengers?

These are serious issues that come into play with 'us' in our 'dotage.' Loss of flexibility/balance (a real deal breaker if you have Parkinson Disease like me) make getting in-out of a high sided drift boat a 'physical adventure.':rolleyes:

Nate Baily has great patience when I'm in his boat even in as little as six inches of water under the keel. :smokin: Not his boat, but here the low sided Claka shines! Can't say enough good things about the hull design; they pretty much nailed it for us 'Seasoned Citizens.'

Fred

Edit: One other boat just came to mind, the Pravati (sp?) actually has a door on the side of the boat. Not actually been in one (save for looking at same at Outdoor Emporium here in Medford) but someone thought this through. Good call!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I just sold an older Hyde ('98) for $3200. I listed at $3800 and had some interest but a buddy had cash and I want to be able to borrow when I come back to AK!!! I'd say you are right in the proper range. (My price may seem high for a 98 to some folks but things cost a bit more in Alaska)

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
3500 for a solid boat with good working trailer is a good buy anywhere. Hyde is a good enough boat, as are most. if it is in good shape, has oars, etc etc, its a good buy.

·
K-Roc
193 Posts
I've also owned both. I had a clacka 15 LP and i now row a Hyde xl low. They are both excellent for rowing. My Hyde does not have the G4 bottom, this option would make it super tough but also heavy and sluggish. You have more options when designing the inside of a Hyde as well. Clacka have a very basic interior, one real option which is to upgrade to the fly pod configuration.
The most important difference to me is how bombproof the chines are on the Clackas. For this reason alone I would love to go back to one... The Elk river in Fernie, BC gets pretty bony in August and is hard on boats. If your river is fairly tame then the Hyde will be great, $3500 is a killer price too, drift boats hold their value really well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Claka vs. Hyde...both excellent boats and $3500.00 is a very good price. I have owned my Claka since 2002 but have also rowed my guiding partners Hyde with ease. I personally would chose a Clakacraft over a Hyde for a couple of reasons. First, the Claka Craft has rounded chines vs the square chines of the Hyde. This allows the boat to "roll" over any rock you might hit rather than hitting the rock abruptly. Secondly, the bottom of the Claka will flex when going over rocks in skinny water. The Hyde has a rigid bottom because of the raised floor boards and won't flex anywhere near as well as the Hyde. Proof of this was when my partner punctured the bottom of his boat not realizing this until his boat started to take on water. The Claka Craft's motto of "Fear No Rock" holds true here. I have also noticed on his boat that the fiberglass welds on his boat have started to crack a little. Not the case with my boat so far. I don't know how often you will be drifting but we do use our boats quite a bit and over some fairly narly water at certain times of the year. Overall.. the Hyde is still an excellent boat and the price is right but I would lean toward a Clakacraft but that's just me. Hope this info helps.

·
Rocky Mountains
100 Posts
If you've never owned a drift boat it will be a great place to start. No sure of the year and the model but if it is taken care of it is well worth it. When comparing Hyde and Clacka you wont notice the difference if you haven't spent much time rowing either. You will just get used to it.

That said Last year I was leaning toward the headhunter skiff or the eddy and ended up with a Adipose flow Skiff.

Good luck and post pics!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Stay away from Hyde's, definitely the low end of the current boat manufactures. The Cabelas in Idaho just outside of Spokane shows where hydes belong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hyde

Wow never seen this before, hyde used to be the boat to have but as mentioned here there are others who have overtaken them clacks , Adiopose, I ended up getting the Boulder Boat Works Pro and love it
Bill

·
Registered
48 Posts
No response

I am waiting for any response from Lemoyne Hyde. Spoke with Jim Kunz ,Hyde CEO, last week & he stated he would show the photos to Mr. Hyde and it will be his decision......oh well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And threads like this are why I'm spending over $11k on an Adipose when I can get a similar Hyde new for $6k.

If anybody wants a new Hyde, ask them about their $6k package special they're doing right now. It's over $2k off of std list prices.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts