Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed up next week to fish the humber river in Newfoundland the first week of July ! Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the current fishing condition's as well as water levels ? We where there last year but got washed out with high water so we are hoping the second times a charm !
We will be fishing down river from big falls .

Any updates appreciated
Regards

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Call before...

You may wish to check before you leave. The talk around my local fly shop was that they may have to close sections of the Humber due to low water conditions.
Early reports are that the water levels are moderate at best along the Northern Penninsula.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
water

Uh no ! Hope they get some rain, been planning this trip for 10 month's as long as the don't "Close the river" im good ! Would they close it to angling completely or C&R ?
Any more details would be helpfull ? Im worried now !

·
Registered
77 Posts
Almost all rivers in NL are terribly low - we had to cancel our trip scheduled for this week . You might want to check the site for SPAWN at
www.spawn1.ca . They will have river closures posted as received from Federal Fisheries Dept . We are all praying for rain up here but the forecast does not show much more than a few showers at best for the next week or two for just about all of the island of Newfoundland .........Frank

·
Registered
221 Posts
Humber River

Less than average snowfall this past winter,early dry spring and its been hot this past week and no amounts of rain in sight.Rivers are extremely low and not a big sign of fish.I expect there are fish in the bays chasing caplin and waiting for higher water.Would expect some rivers to close very soon.Typical salmon fishing - Water always too high or too low.
Tight lines
Copsamps

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nflnd

Oh no , now I'm starting to get nervous with only a week and a half to go until our trip. I'm hoping west cost nflnd get lots of rain before then . If anyone hears any news from the Humber until then please let me know .

Tks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am leaving this Friday. Hope to wet a line before they decide to close the rivers down. Will it be the extremely low ones or all of them. Hope for some rain,

·
Registered
333 Posts
re Humber

Contact either Bill Bryden of Eureka Outdoors or Rob Solo in Cornerbrook--they exist on this river and know the fish by their first names.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Newfoundland salmon fishing trip

Got back yesterday. The rivers were really low and warm. Things were slow but there was still fish in the rivers. Fished Big Falls and it looked pityful. Tried Harry's and seen a few fish caught. Nothing there for me. Then we tried Southwest Brook and managed to hook and land a 20lb. It was a very handsome fish and got me by surprise. I didn't expect anything like that. That made the trip for me. Then I tried the power house in Deer Lake and hooked one and lost it. Overall it was a nice trip. Would have been nice to see some water but you can't plan that. Going to try my luck at St Mary's river in Ontario.

·
Registered
117 Posts
bad start for the humber

I got to the lower humber (my parents cabin) 2 weeks ago and it has been the worst fishing I have seen in 25 years. Last night, at Big Falls I did not see a fish.
However after some much needed rain there have been a few caught on the lower Humber this morning. Tomorrow is my last fish here on the lower humber and then I am going back home to the sault to fish out the rest of the season on the St. Marys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts