Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a copy of Hugh Falkus's book. I'm wondering what these are worth. To me, it's in very good shape. It is lacking the dust jacket, as I remove them from most of my books and throw them away (bright move, huh?). It also has a business card scotch taped to the inside of the cover with the name and address of a guy who tried to help me line my 9140-4 the first time I thought I was going to get serious about spey casting. That was in the early 90's, and I probably haven't opened it more than a few times since then. I haven't gone through it page by page, but as far as I know, it's innards are in as-new condition. The cover has a few light scuffs, but nothing significant.

I intend to pass the proceeds on to the WSC in way of a donation, so help me out with an asking price, fair offers, etc...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hugh Falkus-Speycasting-A New Technique

Paul Morgan, of Coch-Y-Bonddhu Books, in Wales, UK lists the 1994, 1st edition(with dustwrapper) in near fine condition, for £150.00, approximately $300.00.

Stefan

·
loco alto!
2,993 Posts
google to find what various booksellers are asking. It seems the prices asked by booksellers are often much higher than going prices on eBay, etc. They set it high and just hold out for that motivated buyer. I sold my copy on eBay 4-ish years ago for $75, so would think (with recent spey hysteria) that $125-150 would be fair. Good on you for the donation!

·
Speysayer
254 Posts
I purchased the book a few months age from Powell's Book in Portland, OR. I paid 200.00 and that was the cheapest I found, however most were in this same ballpark. My copy is the first ed. with the dust jacket and is in excellent condition. It seems to me like time has treated the resale of this book real well. I am psyched to own this classic and never plan on parting with it. Scott

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here's my asking price:

You send a check to Wild Steelhead Coalition for $200 minimum (feel free to include more!), I'll ship you the book. If you have convinced yourself that the lack of a dust cover makes the book worth some amount under $200, take comfort in the fact that the balance is going to a good cause.

Besides donating these proceeds, I plan to pony up for some level of membership in a couple organizations (...and renew my Speypages subscription...) as I get a little further into the work (construction) season. If you have been thinking of making a donation yourself and have been wanting this book, I would encourage you to consider writing a check for more than the $200 I have asked for the book. A $220 dollar check to WSC trumps a $200 check. Highest 'donator' by April 15th gets the book. Donation can be in your name and should be tax-deductible.

Thanks,

Trevor

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I'm in for $200.00

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Poppy!

If anybody else wants to help WSC out, post your donation here...

Thanks,

Trevor

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Poppy

As with the rod thread, I'm going to go ahead and quit taking offers on this one. I really happy with how this all worked out.

Poppy, the book is yours. Feel free to make that donation to the Wild Steelhead Coalition for $200. I'll get the book ready to ship. I'm assuming I can pull a shipping address off your website. If you want it sent to a specific address, just let me know. I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks again.

Trevor

·
sushiyummy & C&R
1,038 Posts
Chain in regifting

If you create a chain in regifting using donations as transactions, WSC could be very well funded.

Inspired by a Seinfeld episode.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sushi-

There was one basic notion that made all this happen. It was a matter of asking "What can these items do for Wild Fish and for the organizations fighting to protect them" as opposed to thinking in terms of what the items could do for me.

When you think of something as yours, there is an attachment, and if you are going to part with it you want something to take it's place. Cash or barter, but a void doesn't work for most people. Interestingly, after I jumped into this thing, I found that I had an attachment, not to the items, but to the process of using the items to benefit wild fish. Honestly, that was unexpected and actually felt really good. I initially knew I had to do something and made the offer mostly because I felt bad about all that I haven't done. I expected that I'd 'miss' the items or still think in terms of what the money could have bought me, but on the backside that's just laughable. I couldn't feel any better about what I did with this book & rod than I do now. I would encourage anybody to give it a try with gear they have laying around that they aren't using. It was a lot of fun, great to interact with Jack & Poppy & Willie on this, and it certainly put me in a better place with my conscience.

Trevor

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mjyp

Easy Bro, we're all on the same team, and we will all find ways to make a difference. I have no doubts about Sushi, or about you, my pugnacious friend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts