Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for fry / alevin patterns for a river I hope to fish this spring for a week. I came across this pattern. I like the way it looks a lot, but have a concern.

The fly is clearly tied to swim point down (The wing on top and the yolk sac on the bottom), but won't the eyes make it swim upside down / point up ?? Or does the straight eye hook change the effect of the eyes somehow ??

Gillie

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
It will swim upside down because of the lead eyes. So in other words, as it is tied now the yolk sac will be up when fished. This may or may not be a real issue though. Real sac fry are not free swimming anyways so would only be available as a food soucre one of two ways: 1) If a fish roots it out of the gravel; or 2) If it is washed out of the gravel in some way and is free floating in the water column. So in short, it may not matter how your sac fry imitation swims as long as you have it in the water.

If you do want it to ride upright however, use some form of unweighted eyes. Then, use either weight in the underbody or use harelines quick decent aluminum dubbing material, it comes in silver.

Rip-Tide

·
Registered
283 Posts
Try tying the eyes under the hook shank and not on top. I've seen some saltwater ties tied like that which swim "right". I like the idea of a bead better. I'm not a big lead eye fan as I've had some fish grab them and they feel the hook and eyes and blow it out before they turn on the fly. I like beads and cones better.

-Chris

·
Registered
43 Posts
gillie, i tie a fly close to that one of yours. also called an alvin i think. but instead of the feather for the sack i use a hot glue gun with orange glue to make the egg. then use a rotating vise to turn the fly till the glue sets-up, a couple minutes will do. also i wrap a neat tappered head a little larger than most flys an glue on some prizim style eyes. free drifted on some michigan streams in march they were HOT.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Or tie it up side down like a bonefish pattern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts