Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
BBCT
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Beulah Onyx 5124 that I have been using an Elixir switch 325gr 27ft with a 10ft poly leader. There are times when the wind kicks up and makes this a bit tough to cast. Which is why I am interested in the Rage. Do you size the Rage line between a scandi and skagit line? Or do you size it the same as recommended skagit weight?

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris

·
Banned
177 Posts
My preference for the Rage is ~30-50 grains below my Skagits, but since the Elixir is a Scandi, I'd probably stay near the same grain weight. The Rage is about 30' long, so it is closer to a Scandi than a Skagit.

A word of warning - don't expect it to solve all your wind issues. I know Larimer says he designed it for wind, but it doesn't really "cut through" as advertised in my experience. Then again, I am talking about Columbia Gorge wind.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I tend to use Airflo compact Scandi heads. The Rage is interchangeable in weight for those heads with my casting style. It does cut through the wind a lot better but I don't use true Skagit heads on the Mirimachi and Cains rivers in New Brunswick as they are pretty shallow where I fish.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I go up 30-60gr from a Scandi Compact to a Rage depending on weather (pun intended) or not the wind is blowing or ripping. I also go +60gr when I'm fishing the 4-6"/sec polyleaders (10' Salmon), +30gr for the lesser sink rates. I don't fish level T tips with the Rage, so I have no input on that. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
...I mainly use the Rage with polyleaders. If I'm going with a mono leader, I use the Scandi Compact. I will fish the Rage with a mono leader under certain conditions but rarely.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can fish a Rage anywhere from your preferred Scandi weight to your preferred Skagit weight as well as with a wide variety of tips and leaders depending on your fly choice, casting style/stroke, and conditions. I think if you ask 10 different people this same question, I believe you'll get 10 different answers, as not all 10 people will be fishing with the same flies, in the same conditions, and with the same casting style/stroke. Personally, I prefer to use the Rage where I feel it excels. For me, that is as a small fly with a polyleader/tip line, a windy day Scandi line, and a big, hard to cast, surface bug line. I look at the Rage as a bit of a tweener line. I use it when a Scandi can't quite cut it and when a Skagit seems a bit overkill. If I could only have one line, it would be a Rage, but I'd never punish myself like that. I've got lines for days :cool: .

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Fishin4herbs has it. A RAGE is basically a Skagit head, integrated with that floating tip you hardly ever use with the skagit, with some of the transitions sanded down. This was the original message from designers at airflo saying this, not just me. Whether you think of it as a beefy scandi or an elegant full-floating skagit system is partly in your head, and partly how you tune the weight to your casting preferences. Want it to cast off the tip, more like a scandi? Then go closer to a scandi weight. Want a fuller rod load, or to use a beefier tip? Then choose one closer to the skagit weight. They will all work fine and it is up to YOU for figure out what YOU prefer. If in doubt about the precise answer maybe split the difference.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,129 Posts
On the Airflo spey line chart the Scandi Compact and the Rage Compact are usually the same weight recommendation for any given rod.

Leo

·
Banned
177 Posts
Fishin4herbs has it. A RAGE is basically a Skagit head, integrated with that floating tip you hardly ever use with the skagit, with some of the transitions sanded down. This was the original message from designers at airflo saying this, not just me. Whether you think of it as a beefy scandi or an elegant full-floating skagit system is partly in your head, and partly how you tune the weight to your casting preferences. Want it to cast off the tip, more like a scandi? Then go closer to a scandi weight. Want a fuller rod load, or to use a beefier tip? Then choose one closer to the skagit weight. They will all work fine and it is up to YOU for figure out what YOU prefer. If in doubt about the precise answer maybe split the difference.
Not sure if I would agree that it is basically a Skagit head. Try casting a 5" MOAL leech with it.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Not sure if I would agree that it is basically a Skagit head. Try casting a 5" MOAL leech with it.
What I said was that it is slightly smoothed down skagit head with a built in floating tip, so the carrying capacity is that of the floating tip, not that of the just any sink tip you could have attached that could potentially be a lot more gr/ft. It has always been the case that you could use a floating tip on the end of your skagit head to turn it into something like a RAGE. Airflo just made an integrated version. Usually one would use a long tapered leader on the end of the floating tip, but you could also use a heavier polyleader or light replacement tip as well - just like a RAGE. But you would not usually add 5 ft of tippet and a very heavy fly and expect it to work, or try to get some t14 to work on the end either. So in that sense as well NOT a regular skagit set up. Personally most of the floating replacement tips in sets I own have gone more or less unused over the years. But I do like a RAGE for doing things like skating - I just wish I had been more successful catching steelhead that way!

But I’d prefer to use something like a Beulah Aerohead for that - a short belly. To go back to an earlier point you made I find an aerohead, and most other well-designed short bellies like the vector, when properly cast really DO cut through nearly any wind like a hot knife through butter. In that case especially, something beefier but crude is no substitute for a line with a “real” taper. I’m not %100 (only about %95) sure why, but that is my practical experience. The likely reason is that those lines have the maximum power transfer per given cross-sectional area, and so the maximum power transfer per given air drag. And it really shows when the wind gets uncooperative!

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,815 Posts
What I said was that it is slightly smoothed down skagit head with a built in floating tip, so the carrying capacity is that of the floating tip, not that of the just any sink tip you could have attached that could potentially be a lot more gr/ft. It has always been the case that you could use a floating tip on the end of your skagit head to turn it into something like a RAGE. Airflo just made an integrated version. Usually one would use a long tapered leader on the end of the floating tip, but you could also use a heavier polyleader or light replacement tip as well - just like a RAGE. But you would not usually add 5 ft of tippet and a very heavy fly and expect it to work, or try to get some t14 to work on the end either. So in that sense as well NOT a regular skagit set up. Personally most of the floating replacement tips in sets I own have gone more or less unused over the years. But I do like a RAGE for doing things like skating - I just wish I had been more successful catching steelhead that way!

But I’d prefer to use something like a Beulah Aerohead for that - a short belly. To go back to an earlier point you made I find an aerohead, and most other well-desigend short bellies like the vector, when properly cast really DO cut through nearly any wind like a hot knife through butter. In that case especially, something beefier but crude is no substitute for a line with a “real” taper. I’m not %100 (only about %95) sure why, but that is my practical experience. The likely reason is that those lines have the maximum power transfer per given cross-sectional area, and so the maximum power transfer per given air drag. And it really shows when the wind gets uncooperative!
I find the same true for lines like the Aerohead and Vector. A nice tight loop will fare better in the wind than trying to just cast more grains.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I think for every person that likes it same weight as a scandi (I'm in this camp), you'll find someone likes it matched to skagit weight. Either will work.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,815 Posts
I have a Beulah Onyx 5124 that I have been using an Elixir switch 325gr 27ft with a 10ft poly leader. There are times when the wind kicks up and makes this a bit tough to cast. Which is why I am interested in the Rage. Do you size the Rage line between a scandi and skagit line? Or do you size it the same as recommended skagit weight?

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris

How much overhang are you working with? Rather than try to buy more heads try working with some overhang to overcome the wind. I would bet with .75m or maybe a little more you can generate a little more line speed on the forward stroke to tighten things up and punch it into the wind a little better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts