Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About eight years ago I thought I would take up the spey rod. The local fly shop said the 9140 was a good rod. At 600 bucks it seemed a little high so I bought a Cabelas 14 footer for under 200. It was a great rod and my longest casts still come with this rod but it was a little heavy. I then bought a glx 15 footer. It was a little stiff and I could never get the timing down. I then went through a half dozen more rods. Each one was too short too long to soft or just didn't feel right for my style of casting. I finally bought a used 9140 for 350 bucks and is now my favorite rod. In the mean time I spent close to 4000 dollars to finally get my rod.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I think the reason we're all stymied by your account of rod buying is... we've all done it! ;)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
There is one way you could have saved a lot of money. It's the only way I know. That is to buy the right rod the first time. There is only one way I know to do that.. buy a Burkheimer :D

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,792 Posts
I would have to concur

·
Registered
267 Posts
The correct rod

I ran into this same problem with buying my first spey rod. I refused to buy any rod that I could not test first. I was not about to spend that kind of money on a rod and not have any idea what I was buying. Simply put if I could not spend a day on the river fishing the set up I was interested in I would not consider it. Fortunately the fly shop that I do most of my businees with was willing to work with me on this. They asked me what I was looking for and within a week I had a number of rods available for me to try. Sage, Winston etc..... They simply called there reps and had a few shipped in for demo's. You wouldnt buy a car simply by reading car and driver and walking through a lot or two without test driving one would you? There are notable exceptions such as custom built rods like a CF Burkheimer but I am not sure that your first rod should be a rod like that. You wouldnt buy a ferrari or a porsche for your first car................. Uh or maybe you should! But thats another post entirely. By the way everyone told that I should buy the Sage 9140 and after testing a number of rods, that ended up being the one I purchased!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts