Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to remove the coils from the shooting heads? Particulary from Airflo Skagit compact and Rage heads? It is much better experience with Scandi Compact heads, very little coils, while Skagit are the worse, looks like a spring when casting.

I have tried to straighten them with hand like leaders, but no difference.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I wrap it around my rearview mirror (no sharp edges) so I can tug both ends. Pull firmly (not trying to test breaking strength), and hold it for a few seconds, maybe a 5 count. Reel it up and should be good to go.

I have a tarpon line for a sh rod I walk out the whole thing, after wrapping it around the mirror or canoe rack, and stretch it for 5, let it rest, then repeat a couple more time. It's not Airflow.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Tie your favorite fly on, throw it in your favorite river, and wait. If you're holding your mouth right, you'll get someone to pull the kinks out of your line for you!!

Hey, it could happen!

·
Fishes with Wolves
419 Posts
Heat works. Not hot, but just warm. If you're by yourself, on the drive to the river peel the head off the reel and lay it on the passenger side floor and let the truck heater soften it on the drive up. When you get there, stretch it by hand like you would a ten foot leader then let it cool before spooling it or stringing it while you get suited up.

You can also just set your reel where the car heat can get to it and then stretch it first thing when you get out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a Airflo Scandi Compact that is in the same condition. I plan to use hot water to straighten it. Unlike some other brands, Airflo uses a braided core that does not stretch much. I tried stretching the memory out, but it doesn't work. By the way, the coils are my fault. I wound the line incorrectly before I stored it. It sat that way for at least 2 years before I took it out to use.

briansII

·
Registered
52 Posts
Heat works. Not hot, but just warm. If you're by yourself, on the drive to the river peel the head off the reel and lay it on the passenger side floor and let the truck heater soften it on the drive up. When you get there, stretch it by hand like you would a ten foot leader then let it cool before spooling it or stringing it while you get suited up.

You can also just set your reel where the car heat can get to it and then stretch it first thing when you get out.
great idear. I'll try that next time out

·
Banned
571 Posts
Careful with that hot water...

I have a Airflo Scandi Compact that is in the same condition. I plan to use hot water to straighten it. Unlike some other brands, Airflo uses a braided core that does not stretch much. I tried stretching the memory out, but it doesn't work. By the way, the coils are my fault. I wound the line incorrectly before I stored it. It sat that way for at least 2 years before I took it out to use.

briansII
Several years ago I bought a series of Airflo Skagit heads for a 7 and an 8. Brand new, right out of the package, coiled like snakes and no amount of hand stretching or hanging from my fence removed the coils. On the phone to Rajeff Sports. Got the hot water "recipe" and tried it. The coils ended up bonded to each other in just a few seconds because the temperature I was given was too high. When I tried separating them after cooling, the coating just peeled off. Back on the phone...the solution was a series of new heads sent to me by Rajeff Sports. Try WARM water. Not HOT. Cheers, Buff.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
"Warm, not hot"

The water temperature which works fine for most lines is that which you can just comfortably put your hand in without burning - usually just run the hot tap at home in the sink, when running hot, fill the sink.

Feed the line/head into the water, leave for 1 minute, then remove the line, starting at one end, and both dry and stretch the line by pulling through a cloth or towel, and let the line down into large coils on the floor.

Works everytime for me, whatever line, however old.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Tie your favorite fly on, throw it in your favorite river, and wait. If you're holding your mouth right, you'll get someone to pull the kinks out of your line for you!!

Hey, it could happen!
Works every time! Of course, getting the other party two cooperate isn't always in the cards.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Coils

Call Rajeff (866)347-4359 and get another line. I don't think any line should coil that badly. Also, if they're having production problems, they'll never know unless you point it out and make them aware. I have a lot of Airflo lines and none of them coil. Line companies occasionally get things wrong: floating lines that sink, lines that crack prematurely.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Stretching will reduce the life of your line.

Make sure you aren't winding the line on the reel off the side of the spool when you first install it. If you do that you'll be adding twist to the line and it'll prove it by coiling. Always wind the line straight off a "spinning spool". A line installed correctly will not coil problematically unless it's installed wrong. Even in cold weather, after two or three casts any coiling should be gone. If it's not then you installed the line with a twist...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the advices, will try something. I am in Europe, so probably would be better to contact someone in the UK?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would go to their website. They have a dealer locator, so it's possible that you could find someone closer to your location. It's too bad, Rajeff has excellent customer service, but is the US distributor. Just to reiterate, this line has a defect. It should not coil like a slinky. I have also heard of other Airflo lines with this problem. Airflo makes great lines, but they do run into production inconsistencies. Find the European distributor and see what they can do for you. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Best regards,
Keith

1 - 15 of 15 Posts