Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some ideas on how this can be done, example can you bend them and reheat them in the oven (what temp & how long) or a torch, do you need to quench it afterwards and in what oil, water??
Thx in advance...

J

·
0 Posts
Looking for some ideas on how this can be done, example can you bend them and reheat them in the oven (what temp & how long) or a torch, do you need to quench it afterwards and in what oil, water??
Thx in advance...
Is it a current reel? If so, I'd try to get a stronger spring from the manufacturer/maker. I did that with my Bellinger G&P and my Brusky G&P. It made a world of difference.

·
Registered
654 Posts
500 degrees for an hour…? springs can be small and thin. This is a metalurgy question, regarding tempering. From what little I know, a small spring can only spring so far as it is able; heated again after the event or not. If increased tension/ spring is required, find a heftier spring.

Having discussed the subject with W. Petrevan, who himself was after the Holy-Springy- Grail, for his reels, thicker and suitable sprung steel, is the way to go,

Malcolm

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,429 Posts
Malcolm - I don’t disagree. The 500 degrees for an hour is to set a rebend on a spring. Sometimes a slight increase in bend is enough to tweak a spring.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,133 Posts
No Way!

No way would I try this on an old reel.

Fingertips on the spool for me.

I've mucked up too many things in my life by trying to be clever, and I've learned my lesson!

Fingertips on the spool.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
For old Hardy's, I bet Archuletta has a thought on this.
I purchased heavier springs for my Perfects from him and I'd guess he has or can fashion them for other reels.

Generally I do what Bob does, I bought new springs when I had a couple break that's how I know he has them.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
801 Posts
I have an old Farlow Perfect that had weak springs. Archuletta made new ones for a very very reasonable price. He is a master.
All he needs is one of the old springs to use as a pattern.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Just tuned a spring in minutes

I have never dealt with Archuletta personally, but have heard nothing but glowing praise for him, and I plan to have him fix a couple reels that I can't fix myself. I suppose my view is that tuning a spring is so simple tbat I would encourage others to try it first before paying someone to replace it. I had an older Hardy Hydra that I bought a while ago. I had heard that the they are very loud reels. Mine was not loud at all and I had not used it or messed with it yet. Some say that older springs relax a little over the years and the tension decreases. In the past I have simply removed them and manually spread them apart, then reinstalled them and checked the tension. Then it was just a matter of taking the spring out and popping it in the oven at 350F for about 10-15 minutes and cooling it to retemper the metal. This was all done according to Bulldog, the classic reel maven's instructions. Well just a few minutes ago I tried it on my Hardy and she now screams like a Banshee and the tension is perfect. Super easy! Nothing wrong with having someone replace the spring, just offering another way. Have fun.

Nate

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I recently purchased "heavy duty" springs for my modern day Hardy 4" Perfect from Archuletta's Reel Works in Oregon. They weren't too difficult to install but I had to take them back out because they were too strong!! Even with the adjustment knob turned in to take all the tension off the springs I could barely pull line off the spool. I never knew that springs would need too be "fine tuned" to get them to work properly. I should have sent Archuletta the reel and had him install the heavy duty springs in the first place as he would have the skills to do this.

·
Fishes with Wolves
397 Posts
I have never dealt with Archuletta personally, but have heard nothing but glowing praise for him, and I plan to have him fix a couple reels that I can't fix myself. I suppose my view is that tuning a spring is so simple tbat I would encourage others to try it first before paying someone to replace it. I had an older Hardy Hydra that I bought a while ago. I had heard that the they are very loud reels. Mine was not loud at all and I had not used it or messed with it yet. Some say that older springs relax a little over the years and the tension decreases. In the past I have simply removed them and manually spread them apart, then reinstalled them and checked the tension. Then it was just a matter of taking the spring out and popping it in the oven at 350F for about 10-15 minutes and cooling it to retemper the metal. This was all done according to Bulldog, the classic reel maven's instructions. Well just a few minutes ago I tried it on my Hardy and she now screams like a Banshee and the tension is perfect. Super easy! Nothing wrong with having someone replace the spring, just offering another way. Have fun.

Nate
It's great that you put up a picture! There is another way to increase the clicker tension also. You see where the end of the spring rests against the outer rim of the cage? I have inserted spacers at this point to increase spring tension. I've used everything from pieces of toothpicks, pieces of pocket knife whittled wood, pieces of plastic bottle caps, etc. They all work and obviously, the thicker the shim the more tension you get.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I recently purchased "heavy duty" springs for my modern day Hardy 4" Perfect from Archuletta's Reel Works in Oregon. They weren't too difficult to install but I had to take them back out because they were too strong!! Even with the adjustment knob turned in to take all the tension off the springs I could barely pull line off the spool. I never knew that springs would need too be "fine tuned" to get them to work properly. I should have sent Archuletta the reel and had him install the heavy duty springs in the first place as he would have the skills to do this.
It is really easy to compress the spring and reinstall it. If you start with small incremental changes and keep testing it until you like the tension then it is just a matter of baking the spring to lock it into that shape. Easy peasy.l

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just had Bill Archuletta put heavier springs in my MKIV Bougle. Price of two new springs install and reel clean and re grease around 45 bucks. Well worth it. Bill is a super guy and knows his way around reels.

·
flailing less
490 Posts
One more log for the fire

Threads like this seem to end up being a collection of tips and good ideas, so here's two tidbits that may prove useful:

1) The former Hardy USA tech (I think he's now at Lamson Waterworks) used a lumber pencil inserted between the anchored spring leg and reel cage and twisted it to slightly bend the anchored leg inward near the pivot post. This accomplishes a lesser portion of what stretching and re-treating the spring does, without having to remove the spring. Testing for adequacy is done immediately.

2) On the Hardy Salmons (known for spring complaints), Archuletta supplied me with Bougle springs that took the tension up adequately. Stock Salmon One's measured .025 thickness, Bougle's were closer to .031. By "rough" math, that could add nearly 20% more strength, and my impressions were on the same order.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts