Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions on how to get started. Besides buying a video, what rod, reel, line would a guy what to start playing with? Can't start with high dollar but can spend around a $600.00. Is this possible? Need help, please. I fish the Clearwater ID. Thanks

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Getting Started

Howdy Coho48,

If you are not to far from Orofino or Lewiston you can come to the shop and try some CND rods out on the river. I would suggest the Expert 1409 with an Airflo Delta Long 9/10 or a MidSpey 9/10 if you perfer Rio products. Anytime you are ready for a test drive let me know. Your $600.00 will get the job done nicely.
Take care, MJC

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
C-48 you couldn't get a better set of..

'wings to teach you how to fly.' Great shop, great folks with which to 'drop the dime.' I'm in Southern Oregon and trade with Redshed on a frequent basis.

Fred Evans

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

coho48- I strongly suggest you get some lessons and try out some rods and lines before you drop the money. That will greatly shorten your learning curve and reduce frustration.

The Red Shed is a good place to begin. Also, subscribe to Dana's Speypages' newsletter. There is great information on technique that is not available anywhere else. Also, some great video clips.
http://www.speypages.com/

If you can arrange it at all, get to the Sandy Speyclave or some other clave. Those are a great help.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
coho48

t_rich.. has it right.

Lessons first, absolutely! A professional spey instructor will have several rods lined for students to work with. Only in this way will your decision be an informed one.

bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts