Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear spey addicts,
Could you please shed some light on how tight are the ferrules on your favorite/most used spey rod? How much pressure do you apply to properly assemble your rod? Did the ferrules get more loose after thousands of casts as compared to their brand new shape? Which joints are usuaslly more troubling (upper ones vs. lower ones)? How many times did your ferrules lock up?
I would love to learn such details about different brand names and models from the real people that use them. Bet it might help some other beginners in their eternal quest for "the best beginer spey rod"?
Thank you.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Dunno... let me remove the tape and check ;)

Quality rods will fit together very well and will stay together well through moderate use BUT... spey casting is a high torque affair and that rod is just going through some major deformation while snake rolling, snap-t'ing, circle speying, et. al.

IMHO all two-handers should be taped at the ferrules.

To me it's like having your child wear a seat belt. It's not the 99.9% of the time that you are protecting them from, it's that .1% risk you don't want to take. When you hear that toe-nail curling collapse because that top ferrule came loose and the rods are just too long to check the ferrules frequently enough, it's too late.

If you hate taping, at least tape the ferrules you can't reach while standing in the water without dunking the reel behind you. And check those you can reach often while fishing.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
DT, for me (as Pete has mentioned above) ..

the rod brand that appears to either have 'issues' or no. Sages (mine anyway) have a great tendency to 'lock together' to the point I can't pull them apart on the river bank.

Then it's back to the ice cube/alum. foil when I get home. Not had any issues with Meiz's rods, the GL3 or scott blanks 'welding themselves' together.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Fred
You ever try holding each piece behind your back and then pulling them apart ?? It's an olde "my NS ferrules on me damn cane rod is stuck agin'" trick.
BTW : My ferrules are as tight as a duck's a-- hole ,and THAT's watertight !! ( About and old a joke as some of my cane rods:whoa: )
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
this HAS been covered

you should do a search,but,sounds like you've HAD a prob.remember,if you put the piece together;the temp goes up,you'd better check ;if they're stuck,put the rod in the shade,orfind a place to gently lay it in the water till she cools,i do this periodically just to let the grips cool down :chuckle:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hi Brian! Your suggestion does work ..

but not too well if you've taken a 'flyer' two stories off your roof onto a concrete driveway. (Fall didn't hurt a bit ... the sudden stop at the bottom was another matter!:eyecrazy: )

End game is even after 4 years I don't have the (right) hand strength to twist apart a REALLY stuck frl. But, then after the ice has cooled/seperated the two sections (always! the middle connection on the 4 section sages), you can take the left over ice and add a touch of something to it in a nice glass.
:hehe:

·
Registered
147 Posts
ferrules should be extremelt tight... I press mine together nearly as hard as I can and they never come loose or twist while casting. my old 10150 sage tip section had problems though it would get stuck every time.. The brand of rod I use now don't do that..

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Stuck Ferrules?? Somebody has probably already suggested it, but if you get some of those jar opener thingys from the grocery store, they work like a champ. Small peices of rubber from an inner tube work pretty well too. Helps me to get a grip. (My friends will tell you that is only physically) Might work for you?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Gee what a personal question?;)

It varies all around with my rods.

Sage 7136 needs tape and wax and rechecking on a regular basis. The warmer the weather, the more I need to check the ferrules.

Sage 7141 needs wax and no tape even with GS line and tips. Wax is necessary to prevent what happened to my 10151 below.

Sage 10151 would lock up with wax, no wax, tape and even with prayers. Then it would require two people, various tools and chants/curses to get it unstuck. My son the Cromag now has this rod.

ARC 1409 needs wax, tape and constant checking even with wax and tape.

None of Meize's switch rods ( I own 3), need tape. Neither does his new ocean rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts