Votes: 346 48.7%
  • above 15 yds

Votes: 149 21.0%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last years I have tried to vary my flyfishing with using lines with longer bellies as TT Spey, XLT, and the Loop Multitip in addition to my scandinavian shooting heads. However I very often find myself shooting most of the distance even with the longer lines.

I have guided a few englishmens who I will consider as experienced anglers, normally they don't shoot at all and some of them use a XLT or Grandspey without even casting the whole belly at all.

How often do you, who usually use a spey line, shoot more than a few yards?

Do you normally choose a speyline which make you able to have the whole belly (- backtaper) outside of the rings, or do you prefer a longer line which you don't need to have all the belly outside the rings to make a long enough cast?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
McIntyre,

Interesting poll. In the interests of full disclosure, I'm not the world's best shooter of line and rarely try to shoot more that 25-30' unless fishing a Skagit line. This works pretty well though as I rarely need to shoot even half that far.

For me it depends on where the fish are and what run(s) I'm fishing that day. I try to match my tackle to the river and where possible, prefer either a mid or long bellied line to minimize stripping.

'tip

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Like 'Tip, it depends on the run I'm fishing. I prefer to use long-belly lines for my fishing because most of the time I can fish without having to strip line between casts. However, there are some runs where casts over 100' are not too long, and that is when shooting line comes into play.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My goal is allways to minimize shooting as much as circumstances will allow. I allways try to choose a/rod line combo that allows me to cover the water I am fishing adequately with minimum shooting. Obviously some circumstances will require a shorter head but not as often as one would think. Just a personal preference but I hate stripping line.
Ramsay

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Ramsay

I too like to minimize shooting, except for coho, where stripping is an advantage and tight quarters, where a short head makes the casting much easier.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Shooting lines

Doesnt shooting lines scare the fish and cause serious damage to the line. I dont think that is covered under most MFG's warrantys? Whenever I here someone shooting line all I can picture is the guy from Boston Legal shooting his first steelhead? :hihi:

Seriously I shoot line all the time. But the main reason is that I am skagit casting with skagit lines 99% of the time. The river I am fishing and the runs on those rivers dictate how much line I am going to shoot. May only be 10ft may be 50-60 ft? I am not a good enough shot to shoot line more than 50-60ft out! But I am working on it. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Guys,

I have to say that I converted to Underhand casting half way through this last season (bought a Scierra HMS 13' 8/9) and I find that shooting line is much more flexible that traditional spey. I am convinced that I am fishing the fly much better and as often as not fishing the near water where previouly I would have cast far out.

I find with the shooting heads that I can equally cast short or long and control the fly no less well than I can with long bellies. With the long bellies it seems to be necessary to have a long lenght of line outside the tip or else the rod doesn't load and one has no 'feed back', but with the shooting head there is still sufficient weight outside the tip even when a portion of the head is drawn into the top ring to make a very short 'under the rod' cast.

The sysytem I am now using has a 10.7 meter head (about 35 feet) plus polytip and leader of say 4.5 m (15') to a total of 50' plus shooting. Shooting another 8 to 10 meters (25 feet to 33 feet) is relatively easy but beyond that I am limited. This may be due to my inexperience with the underhand or it may be due to the relatively light line etc (circa. 26 grams or 400 grains).

With longer casts Stripping the running line is a bit of a nuisance but again I reckon one should strip a few pulls in any case as the fly comes around to the dangle.

All in all I now consider myself a better angler although next season I think I will upgrade to a 14' 9/10 system (32 grams) as I am fishing reasonable sized rivers.

Regards

Don

Ps It took me some little time to loose the habit of pushing the upper hand but now that I am using the underhand I find the underhand cast so much easier. It seems also to be more natural and closer to casting with the single hand trout-rod combimned with a haul ... the action and timing of the underhand is equivalent to the delayed haul!

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
w/ a delta long dry line...

0-25', depending upon the situation. early in my "spey career", was enamored w/ shooting line long and covering lot's of water, even when it wasn't necesary/detrimental to my fishing success--that bigger must be better theory... 1/2 the time now, i'm shooting less than 20', often none at all... getting smarter, slowly but surely...
As many have said, it all depends upon the situation....
feiger

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hibernicus said:
Guys,

The sysytem I am now using has a 10.7 meter head (about 35 feet) plus polytip and leader of say 4.5 m (15') to a total of 50' plus shooting. Shooting another 8 to 10 meters (25 feet to 33 feet) is relatively easy but beyond that I am limited. This may be due to my inexperience with the underhand or it may be due to the relatively light line etc (circa. 26 grams or 400 grains).
Try longer heads for distance. 12-13 m long should do it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
as much as i can

shooting line is what it's all about, :tsk_tsk: ,seriously though,if you stop high and hard you can `shoot line to beat the band,but the downside is= i don't treat my line with armorall so,,without utilizing a cut off head from a `full line',,it's going to suffer distance by sticking in the guides or on the water in front of me,,so in a perfect world a shooting basket,shooting line,shooter head type rod would deliver some impressive numbers for you,otherwise;i just go fishin' ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Shooting line

"Ps It took me some little time to loose the habit of pushing the upper hand but now that I am using the underhand I find the underhand cast so much easier. It seems also to be more natural and closer to casting with the single hand trout-rod combimned with a haul ... the action and timing of the underhand is equivalent to the delayed haul!"

Don,

Interesting analogy, I was wondering why underhanding felt so natural. I am always hauling line with my single handed rods when fishing the Madison River on windy days, or shooting as much WF sinking line as I can get out on Henrys' Lake in Idaho. Hm, now I know why I work the bottom hand so much with my Spey Rod. Some people have accused me of being a little violent with my casting stroke, but I think it is the tendency to pull hard with the left hand which creates the illusion of violence. As far shooting line is concerned, I usually fish with Midspey lines and will shoot about two rod lengths.

Henry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting polling and thread . Just noticed it...

We Finns do use mostly this called scandi-style like Swedes and Norwegians as well (some Danish also... ;) )
With Andersson -style we normally use runningline which is thin normal level. Then we can shoot about 20-25yds

When applying more power, longer heads and mono shootingline, then max shoots are about 25-35yds.

With shortbelly like windcutter man can shoot about 10-15yds guite easily.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My home water isn't all that big so I normally don't shoot too much line. 20-30 ft. at the most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
spey casting

I only shoot more than 15yds. for exihibitions or for international competitions. It is my general rule of thumb that if you have to cast more than 6.6m equalvent to 20' your not really being an effective angler. Or a sportsman for that matter. However, I have trained and have been mentored by some of the world's best artists in the world. You either hit the river to fish or put on a show! It should not matter in either case have fun enjoy life! Don't worry be happy:razz:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
huh! what!

`i only hit the water to have fun':chuckle: and yet the sliderule and calculus still rules the mind:tsk_tsk: ,,,i'll shoot line when it happens,,obviously doing `overhead work' you're going to shoot some line,but i've never focused on shooting simply because i've used long-belly lines for the majority of my fishing and don't need to shoot much,,is it important when fishing to focus on technic' or should a person just relax and enjoy the ride:confused: ,maybe thas' why i'm such a reggresive turd and use DT lines=i just like to get out and fish with a two-hander!,:smokin: ,and,,,,i'm getting ready for a month of bait and plugs for fall chinook here so,,,i'm not going to sweat=how much line do you shoot,,,at least until oct. when the nookers are spawning and it's `glo-bug time';) and the water will be so low you can walk across the river anyway,,,,then,,it won't matter!!!!:rolleyes: ,,how about talking about the dif. in shooting /running line?,,,NOW you have something worth discussing,simply because the `stock' running line is thick on most lines(i'm still using lines from two/three years ago=prehistoric!:chuckle: ),,,,what line do you use on yer big twenny lad!?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
excuse me!

i came back on this thread tonight because as i clicked off earlier i also scrolled down and noticed this thread had 2 pages!,,,and know now since recapping the thread i see it was started 10 months ago,,,so,i can see where i felt like the horse had been beaten recently and,needed no more(can't you?),so i apologise to macrospey if i sounded like a ,,regressive turd,(i certainly am!;) ),but certainly dif. shooting/running lines will reflect a difference in distance when `shooting line',anybody practising their `shoot'? care to elaborate on lines and technique:confused:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Orvis Line Holster makes shooting running a no brainer

Hammer said:
i came back on this thread tonight because as i clicked off earlier i also scrolled down and noticed this thread had 2 pages!,,,and know now since recapping the thread i see it was started 10 months ago,,,so,i can see where i felt like the horse had been beaten recently and,needed no more(can't you?),so i apologise to macrospey if i sounded like a ,,regressive turd,(i certainly am!;) ),but certainly dif. shooting/running lines will reflect a difference in distance when `shooting line',anybody practising their `shoot'? care to elaborate on lines and technique:confused:
I'm surprised that you aren't still using cat gut lines and greenwood rods and reed canoes. This will be a waste of time with you. However, for the non regressives T's, this tidbit is submitted.

With my 67 year old hands and fingers, even with warm water, dealing with shooting line can be a hassle. That hassle is gone now with the Orvis Line Holster. I just put the shooting line in the holster and shoot it :hihi: without thinking about it. It works so well, I will probably use it in my boat this fall/winter instead of a shooting bucket. I hope to try it this week on one of our local coastal areas. At first I had the holster on my upstream side for stripping. Now I have it in front of me.

The holsters are on sale now at Orvis.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts