Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you consider to be adequate backing capacity for Salmon fishing? (Still trying to decide on the Loop 6nine or 8twelve :roll: ).

Thanks

·
Registered
886 Posts
I could imagine you can have too little backing but I cannot think of a fishing situation where you could have too much.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use a Hardy Marquis 3 for most of my salmon fishing and, even when it's not filled to capacity, I get at least 250yds of 30lb backing. Some of the spools have well over 300yds.

I once walked all the backing out in a field when I was changing from RHW to LHW. When you see well over 300yds of backing unwound in a straight line you realise that if a large fish takes that amount of backing it's probably three pools down and off the hook.

However, as Willie Gunn says, you can never have too much backing. I like at least 200yds, which usually covers you if you cannot follow a fish up/downstream because of bankside obstructions. Knowing I have this much backing let's me fish in comfort and with confidence, and that is the key.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
I'll agree with its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I have 300 yards of 50lb Power Pro on both of my Tioga 12's (both armed with Long Bellies). I know I'll never run out....so I dont concern myself with thinking about it. Yeah, its too much......Bring on that 30 Pound Chromer....I got something for Him! :hihi: :hihi:

·
Registered
308 Posts
BC fish had about 275 yds out before I landed it

I had a nice fish, in fact the largest stellhead I have ever caught, take 275 +_ upstream and then back downstream ...I had loaded a Roos Saltwater 5 with 400 yards, and had it color coded so I wold know what I had out ...it was scary frankly to see the great distance to where the fish was rolling around from where I was standing at the time ...I have ofte n thougth I had too much backing, but in this instance i would never have landed that fish without it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, I guess I'm way out of tune with most folks here. I normally just spool on about 125 yards of 30# and call it a day. Reason? Assuming you're not fishing out of a boat and can 'chase' a big/hot fish is 'the math.'

Fish has 120 - 140 feet of spey line off the reel, then he takes just 50 yards of backing ... fish is now just short of 300! feet away from you. :eek: Probability of landing that fish (back to being in a boat again) is less than 'slim and none. in real life.

J

·
0 Posts
We've had this discussion before! For the most part I agree with Fred. However, there are rivers where Atlantics will run long distances and still be landed. I've had over 200 yds of backing out on the Restigouche more than once (I know because I change my backing from white to a color at 200yds) and have still managed to land the fish. Having only 125-150 yds on a river like that means you'd land very few fish, at least in early June when I fish there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts