Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a Hatch 9 Pulse (Large Arbor) and want to put on enough 30lb Dacron backing to still allow for my 35lb Gripshooter and an Airflow Skagit Compact Head.--How far up on the circles should I spool the Backing?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
No experience with this reel but a good ballpark would be to put it on in reverse order. Cut, then install proper way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
just a thought

what i do is put the line on the reel, leader end first

then add backing until it is filled to my satisfaction

take it off, reverse it, tie the backing to the arbor and wind backing then line onto the reel

no guessing

i recently built a winder to help make it quicker, but did it dumping line in coils on the floor for years

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
backing

I used the Hatch Backing that is about the diameter of 20lb dacron and it's inert so won't degrade. Your reel will hold a ton of backing either way and you're going to love this reel when you get a really strong fish on it!

G

·
Hatch 9+

I'm not sure I agree with the comment that the 9+ LA spool will hold a "ton" of backing plus running line and Skagit Compact. I think it would be fair to say that about the MA spool, however. Of course, that depends upon what one would consider a ton of backing. I use my 9+ LA as a 9 weight bonefish reel and have a 9 weight Airflo Tropical Saltwater on it with about 250yds of Hatch Premium. I know that Hatch claims it will hold more than that, but for practical purposes it won't. I've rigged dozens of Hatch reels (I'm a dealer) and the amount of backing they will hold is quite a bit less than what they claim. PM me if you want to be bored with the details of why that is. To use as a speyreel, I'd be tempted to get the MA spool for it. Of course, the other consideration is the grainage of the flyline. There's world of difference between a 350gr head and a 550gr head.

·
Please don't stand behind
154 Posts
What works well for me is the eye test (read about this on this site somewhere). Spool up some backing and then take the spool of running line and place it on (if you remove it from the packaging) near your reel to see how much space it will take up and also with the head. You are estimating the amount of space each line will use. Its a guess but has worked very well for me and shortens the time spooling up a reel without doing it a few times.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Backing

Own a 9+ and the backing is almost 40% up the arbor.
Rustybee,---Thanks for the tip!---doing everything in reverse surely works, but I guess I'm lazy, and looking for the easy way out.--Is your 9+ a LARGE arbor?---I will be attaching an Airflow Rage 510.----
It was suggested that a MID Arbor might be better for Spey fishing.--I cannot imagine needing more than 200 yards of backing for river Steelhead fishing?---Over the years I have tied into many 20+ pound Steelhead in BC, and cannot remember ever going beyond 125 yards, and IMHO, when you have 200yds + backing out your chances of landing are slim.---I would agree that a MIDArbor carrying 300+ yds of backing would be prudent when WADING in saltwater for Tarpon, Roosters from the shore, etc, --Just my 2 cents!

Thanks,

Bill

G

·
I never said you needed large amounts of backing. I said that what the LA spool holds is often seriously over estimated. If you can get you your Skagit line, with the running line and 150yds of whatever backing you choose on the LA spool, then go with it. I just don't think you're going to be able to do it, but let us know either way. Also, the original post said you'd be using a Skagit Compact and the most recent post says a Rage. I haven't used the Rage so I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Rustybee,---Thanks for the tip!---doing everything in reverse surely works, but I guess I'm lazy, and looking for the easy way out.--Is your 9+ a LARGE arbor?---I will be attaching an Airflow Rage 510.----
It was suggested that a MID Arbor might be better for Spey fishing.--I cannot imagine needing more than 200 yards of backing for river Steelhead fishing?---Over the years I have tied into many 20+ pound Steelhead in BC, and cannot remember ever going beyond 125 yards, and IMHO, when you have 200yds + backing out your chances of landing are slim.---I would agree that a MIDArbor carrying 300+ yds of backing would be prudent when WADING in saltwater for Tarpon, Roosters from the shore, etc, --Just my 2 cents!

Thanks,

Bill
I own both. I'd say leave at least 1/2 inch from the top of the spool if your planning to use a Skagit head + running line.
With the Hatch drag, I've never had a steelhead spool me.... Yet. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Backing

Thanks for all the help guys!----Getting ready to "Dial it in"!--Off to BC for some quality father/son fishing time.---Hope to get at least 100 yes of backing out!
Ha,---

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts