Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many days a year do you fish?

I fish about 150-200days a year,95% is whit speyrods for salmon & seatrout, and the other 5% is for pike & rainbowtrout whit singlehand rods!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Jacob,

150-200! You are what I strive to be. :D

Over the last 5-6 years, my yearly total has ranged from 72 to 98 days. Most years fall in the 80 range. As of yesterday morning, my year to date count is 52.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
If I am working locally, I usually do 6 days a week. I can leave the office at 2:45pm (sometimes later, sometimes earlier), and be on the water by 3:30-3:45pm depending on traffic and fish until dark (anywhere between 5pm and 8pm in the fall in the GL's).

Early in the fall I take my time and fish each run very well, sometimes twice. As fall progresses and darkness comes earlier and earlier, I will run and gun the runs usually staying on the water well after dark, only really focusing on the spots I know are productive.

The past two years I was lucky enough to be working in town during prime run times and did 5-6 days a week from late September to late December, from late December to mid March I pretty much limit it to the weekends, then from early March to mid May I get back at it 5-6 days a week. Unfortunatly this fall is looking like its going to be a bit busy with work, and I won't be able to be on the water as much as I like during the week. Thursday afternoon thru Sunday afternoon I will trudging through the streams as much as daylight permits.

Last fall I switched over to all 2 handed fishing on the swing. A few weeks back I unloaded the majority of my one handers, and gave my huge box of nuke eggs and hex nymphs to a buddy for helping me move.

·
Registered
121 Posts
150 days + a year with a spey rod @ age 16 - - - the beginings of a legend. At age 16 I simply did not get enough blood to my brain to be on the water. Now semi-retired, I'm averaging a couple days a week.

Garry

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Day 93 came and went with only two raised fish(Atlantic Salmon) for my effort. With luck I will end up around 130 days this year.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
This year has suck for fishing for me, not many days on the river :mad:

Remember look out for cars :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Since Brian got on the internet I do not see him on the river any more. Too much time on the computer Brian. I still fish at least an hour a day. Now it is the single handed rod for cutthroat but most of the year it is the two handed rod for Steelhead. Jerry

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
wet fly said:
Since Brian got on the internet I do not see him on the river any more. Too much time on the computer Brian. I still fish at least an hour a day. Now it is the single handed rod for cutthroat but most of the year it is the two handed rod for Steelhead. Jerry
If it wasn't for the accident 9 weeks ago I would have been out a lot

There is plenty of time for he computer at night :hihi:

·
Registered
260 Posts
About 40-50 days salmon fishing (not all full days), around 20 trips to the coast for sea trout and maybe 10 days brown trout. Not as many pike days anymore, say 5 trips a year. Then add around 10 days of practising by the lake pre-season, I´d say I´m getting enough time with my rods. Almost scary when you add things up :Eyecrazy: Not to mention the hours behind the tying vice... No wonder other interests have had to go.

Since I´ve moved away from the glorious south coast I´ll be getting less sea trout trips but more brown trout next year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow...you folks are big hitters! I only wish I could go out like I used to, but am content to get out on the water once a month.

I remember when I would quail hunt or fish every single day.

But now that I am raising my two grandchildren (5 & 6 y/o) alone, I am very happy to get out at all. Although the three of us get out on the canoe in the little lakes around western Washington, I don't fish, they do...with flies I might add. :hihi:

·
Registered
71 Posts
150-200

Yeah I fish about 150-200 (Not all complete days) days a year and I am almost twice Jacob's age. Then again I only got married last summer and I do not have any kids. Well not until April anyway. I also only work three days a week.
Since I cannot afford another spey rod because I am too busy fishing, I cannot afford a smaller spey rod suitable for trout. So my eight weight only gets used in late summer through winter. I would love to get a 5/6 weight spey setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spent the summers growing up in a homesteaded log cabin - no running water, wood stove, out-house. Fished every day from the last day of school to the first day of school. Now, at 58, I have a goal to fish 30 days a year. And that's a struggle to get in. Ah, to be 13 again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm 21 years old usually fish about 120 to 150 days a year. Haven't quite figured out how many days a year I fish with the spey rod but I think it equals out to be just alittle less than the single hander.

·
JD
3,610 Posts
High water

Now that I am retired, and there are only three traffic signals between me and the river,,,,:razz: ,,,,I try to get in at least three days a week. However, It's Jan 20th. High water everywhere. :Eyecrazy: And it looks like it's gonna' be that way a while longer.:eek: I have yet to wet a line this year. :eek: I foresee some serious make up time.:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok so how do you guys come up with you numbers so quickly? I keep a log on my computer with a data base program. The log on the computer is the best fishing tool I have ever used.

Having said that the log is at home I'm at work and I just started with the spey so I have been out aprox. 10 times now using the double hander.

Richard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts