Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Longer

Votes: 1 6.7%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An office mate gave me some scaup feathers that will make some nice collars from a recent hunting expedition. I know that I need to freeze the individual, plucked feathers to kill off any bugs that may be on the feathers. How long do I need to keep them in the freezer before I can use them. I am itching to tie a fly or two with them.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
I usually just buy a flea/tick collar from a pet store, cut a little chunk off and drop it in the bag. Kills everything in a few days. Wash the feathers up and get to tying! I still store them in the freezer until washing though in case there is blood or skin or anything attached that may rot.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Were talking individual plucked feathers (no skin) correct?

If you have an old micro-wave (or wife isn't home ;)) put a few in a sandwich bag and nuke 3 times, short 2-4 second bursts. Good to go. I've only ever had incident with materials twice.. both times were commercially (big name) processed.

Bluebills have sweet flank, I'm surprised not to see it in use more often.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Skins I put in the freezer for 24 hours, sometimes 48. Never had any problems with any of the skins I have been given or bought.

KC

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I will usually freeze for a week & thaw out for a few days just in case any bug eggs hatch and then refreeze for another week. Good to go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts