Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a FF55 6/7 and would like to cut it for tips like a WA. Problem is the Nextcast site doesn't show how long the tips are on a 6/7. I'm assuming it's 12' or 15' but would like to confirm before I put it to the knife.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,506 Posts
I believe that all the WA 55s are cut at 15'. The 45s at 12'.

That is what the website says anyways.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
If you want WW, specially 55 and 70, to turn over sink tips better, buy FF and cut it at 18' level.
For dry set-up it won't matter, but it will for tips.

Do not take my word for it, ask boys at Nexcast.

50 lb polyurethane running line form Airlfo or even better form an older Delta (slightly stiffer) is perfect ( 0.046") for the job, and will weld to PVC like a butter.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Just got a FF55 6/7 and would like to cut it for tips like a WA. Problem is the Nextcast site doesn't show how long the tips are on a 6/7.
The one I have I just measured out, the tip is 15'. It is 0.058 in diameter just up from the cut point. If you're thinking of varying, it is 0.054 at 12' and 0.062in at 18'. Per Buhr's book, that translates to 8.8, 7.4, and 6.3 gr/ft for 18, 15, 12 ft cuts.

HOWEVER, and this is a big "however", keep in mind these lines have gone through several versions. There was a thread on this a few months back. I believe we discovered the different line versions differed in length of the tips. Mine is the oldest (metal-box) version. Unless I have two and lost the box to the other, which is possible. :eek:

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
it is my believe that the main difference between various wt. WW 55 is the length of the rear leveled belly. In such case the front taper, funnel should be the same.

My 1 years old FF 55, 8/9 is 0.058".

Looking at the chart, it appears is that the the weight of the WW increased proportionally with the length of the rear belly.

In the end WW/FF are long shooting heads.

Attachments

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
it is my believe that the main difference between various wt. WW 55 is the length of the rear leveled belly. In such case the front taper, funnel should be the same.

That's sorta my impression too though I haven't measured two line versions to be sure. And at this point, I really only trust measurements. I managed to find the older thread:

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=148298

where I was speculating that based on the differing specs people posted, cut point might have changed.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
The cut point is for a general use. Cutting back 17-18' will make WA 55 or 70 a better line for a difficult conditions ( windy ) and a bigger fly. The dry set-up will still be the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts