Votes: 106 18.1%
  • 10 - 20 Years

Votes: 91 15.5%
  • Longer then 20 years

Votes: 42 7.2%

How long have you been spey casting?

22K views 91 replies 85 participants last post by  SleepRobber 
#1 ·
Was searching the web last night and came across some photos from Fred's Charity Clinic he puts on on the Rogue every year. I attended this event one year and mark it as the start of my spey casting addiction.

I had thought it was 2002 but turns out it was April 2003 so I have been casting for a shorter amount of time than I thought. No wonder I suck :hihi:

That got me thinking as to the makeup of the spey pages members in regards to how long they have been waving the long wand.

-sean

#2 ·
I don't know how long it has been but it was right after Dana started the ISC board.

#13 ·
I've only been casting for six months (Jan, 05). I'm glad I started! I feel like I've learned quite a bit in the past six months.

When I made my first post on the board, many experienced casters posted dire warnings about the addictive nature of two-handed casting equipment. So far, I have not matched Kush's rod collection. Not even close. :chuckle:

#15 ·
Moved to West Mi (from East central MI) on Jan. 15th of '03, hit the Mo for the first time on the 16th, was in Gander Mtn. buying a 13ft 7/8 St. Croix on the 17th. On the 18th I completely iced the thing solid at 6th street dam trying to cast an 8wt sal/steel taper wondering why it wouldn't work.

#16 ·
Sean, so those first casts of yours on the Sauk don't count in 2001? They were good in that video clip. I guess the clock starts when you buy a Spey rod.

Ten years this summer for me from my first purchase. I thought it was longer but I did some research and I bit the bullet in 2005, putting my trusty 896 RPL in the closet and it's made but a few appearances since that day.

Having been on the east coast for most of those ten years, there have been some years of regression but the last several have been quite active and the most recent few were downright intense. I like it that way and hope to keep the pace.

I guess the return on investment with all this is by the time we are too old to get away with casting poorly we'll cast so well that our technique will overcome our physical limits and we'll still be able to reach the fish :cool:

#17 ·
Juro does time travel. Buys his first rod in 2005 & has 10 years experience

"Ten years this summer for me from my first purchase. I thought it was longer but I did some research and I bit the bullet in 2005, putting my trusty 896 RPL in the closet and it's made but a few appearances since that day." :rolleyes:

#19 ·
Grampa Spey said:
"Ten years this summer for me from my first purchase. I thought it was longer but I did some research and I bit the bullet in 2005, putting my trusty 896 RPL in the closet and it's made but a few appearances since that day." :rolleyes:
Got me on that one Grampa! 1995 was the year of that post I found on another mail list. Apparently that wasn't the first year I fell in love with single malts >hic<

#20 ·
Depends how you count.

I rolled my first two handed rod from a 16' prototype blank Jimmy Green gave me in 1990 or 91. Although I couldn't "Spey cast" it, I did thrash my line and fly into the Skagit and derricked a hapless 6# hatchery steelhead from the river the first trip out. I think, however, that I've actually been Spey casting since attending the Spey clinic on the Skykomish River February before last. Since then, I'm working less and casting better, and, not surprisingly, enjoying it more.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#23 ·
How Long

I attended Fred's first Charity Spey Clinic and have been fishing with the long rod at the rate of about Three weeks a year ( 9weeks). Wish I had time to do more. Just got back from Gaspe, and now I have week nine to remember.
Got some video of my casting to review and try to improve. It was another great week with the two hander. I look forward to the next trip, maybe this fall.

#24 ·
I was introduced to the Spey Rod in 1999 on a Steelhead trip to the Bulkley. My Brother and I met a Gentlemen from Vancouver that was taking his raft out just above Smithers. He had two Spey Rods a Sage and St. Croix. He let me toss his St Croix, which he said was his favorite rod. The next day my brother bought a Sage 9140-4 from Oscars and he let me use it from time to time during our trip, but I wouldn't call "Spey Casting", but more "Spey Thrashing".

Henry

#25 ·
Interesting information. In my case the opportunity to really get on the water and learn a bit has happened in the last three years. As a result, I finally have a servicable single spey. For the previous 8 years I had two spey rods, a weak double spey cast only and precious little time to exercise any of them.

Garry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.