Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really looks like I'm going to have my flyfishing experience of my lifetime next year. With a new job that lets me fish how much I want for salmon after work in my favorite river, Orkla during summer and with good oppurtunities to have a long vacation in the fall, it's seems perfect for a steelhead journey.

Starting the fall with a 2-3 weeks in Skeena, from the last week of september and until the mid of october. Thereafter I'm thinking of driving south to Washington, maybe try the Grande Ronde in the late part of October.
For stretching the fishing season even longer I've got the understanding that Rogue and Umpqua could offer some nice steelhead fishing in November? Anybody here (I know there are :) ) with any experiences from this rivers who could give me any advice? I guess when this far south, the weather is a lot more comfortable than november fishing in bc? How many people are there on this rivers, are they crowded?

I've got some good tips about Skeena from "sinktip" and some other fellows on the flyfishingforum site, but I still lack some information on the rivers in the US. Much information on the net, but a little difficult to sort out the good information from the ones that just want to earn money on lodging, guiding, etc.

If you have any tips on other rivers worthy of a visit, I would very much appreciate that as well. (Best tips awarded with an experimental Dee fly :chuckle: )

I also have a great wish to visit some of your speyclaves during my visit, so if someone know the dates of some claves in this period and not to far from my route that would been great.

Thight lines,
Oddbjorn Midbo
Norwegian speyfanatic

·
Registered
124 Posts
November in Oregon

On your way from the Grand Rhonde to the North Umpqua I would highly recommend stopping to fish the Deshutes. If it is sunny cast for steelhead early, then fish for trophy trout for a couple hours in the afternoon, and then steelhead again in the evening. There is miles of access in the area of Maupin, which is not much of a detour from Hwy. 97.
November is a great time to fish the North Umpqua. The crowds have thinned out and the fishing is still good. The Rogue fishes well for steelhead with the added benifit of the occasional coho salmon. Your welcome to a seat in my driftboat if I'm around.

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you very much!

Looks like a week or two on The Deschutes could easily fit into my route. Found some information about the river on the flyfishusa site, and it looked very promissing. What about the nearby Sandy and Hood Rivers, could they be worth a short visit too or is late october too late in these rivers?

See you on The Rogue in November next year...

·
Registered
141 Posts
"late" is a relative term. there are SEVERAL rivers that hold steelhead all year. so it's a matter of is it near peak run for either summer or winter fish. just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
White River

is a wild card on the Deschutes. High freezing levels or rain can put the river out below the White. It has been a major problem this fall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sandy

If you end up in Portland around Mid-October there should be a good run of Coho Salmon in the Sandy. They are off course not steelhead, but a lot of fun none the less. I have not fished the Hood River much because there is a lot of glacial silt that comes off of Mt Hood. If we have a warm front then river clarity becomes an issue. You might want to consider the Klickitat in Central Washington. However it too may be blown out due to rain or glacial silt from Mt Adams. If you are on the way over you should check it out. It is also close to the Deschutes on the other side of the Columbia. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Rogue

is open for steelhead on the fly 365,and the runs overlap a bit,unbeknownst to most who plan their visit during the crowded summer months or during the month of oct.,Zane Grey and his book `tales of freshwater fishing' has somthing to do with that i'm sure,there are always angling opportunities for the fly angler here,the fish are alway on the move,big ones up little ones downriver,,if and when the time comes,give the Rogue a try ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts