Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in sunny California it has been in the 70's and 80's for a week and a half. Stellheading in shorts, no shirt, straw hat, mucho sunscreen. :smokin:
I have been carrying my rods in the cab of my truck, leaving them in the truck all day until the afternoon when I would go fishing directly from work. My 14' 3 piece is too long to lay flat in the cab so I had it leaning at an angle in the black PVC tube in the cab. Got in the truck the other day after work to find the tube with a very pronounced bend in it. Rod was safely extracted and is fine and straight. Tube is history. So, how hot is too hot? At what point do we worry about our RODS suffering from the heat to the point of possible damage? The high tha day of the meltdown was only 78, but the tube was in a locked tight cab in the sun. Now I remove them from the black tubes and lay them (in their bags) covered with a light towel to keep the sun off them, and with the windows cracked.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
keep er' wet!

the rogue is always `just right',said goldilocks,,next time your rod's too hot,send her to a safe place,,heee,hee:hehe:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Hammer...

the rogue is always `just right',said goldilocks,,next time your rod's too hot,send her to a safe place,,heee,hee
More like the "Big Bad Wolf":devil: If he sends his rod to a safe place he will want to get it back. After you get your hands on that CND you will not want to let go and it will be "bye bye" for all your "BIG sticks":smokin:

"Wild $teelhead C&R gives me a thrill, why don't we all make it the drill"

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
caught with my waders down!

well,i'm a hoe ,tackle hoe,,,that's for sure,wanna ride honey!,to close to freedom to look at a motorbike,or much else except boats!,soon i'll be bulking up on CND's,or?,,,,of course i'll be looking for `Rogue Magnums',heheheheheheheheheh;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
PVC and softening...

Straight ol' PVC softens (and "fails" in pipes) at temps around 150 deg. F. - sometimes as low as 130, depending on plasticizers used. That's why it's not used for hot water - some use PVDC for that.

Also, as has been suggested, check your line, too, depending on formulation.:rolleyes:

BobK

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY MOOSE

I thought carbon fiber was inert, not affected by cold or heat. Is that true? Isn't that why the action of the rod stays the same regardless of temperature? All within reason of course, I don't think I would ever use my T & T as a fire poker!!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Not all the rod is graphite

The graphite will put up with the heat of a trunk, but the resins that hold the fibers together may not and lines are even more problematic. Keep both at temperatres you are comfortable with as much as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts