Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you practice change of direction casts with no moving water available? Am a Spey Cast "Newbie" and do not have moving water readily available for practice, but do have open water in "Finger Lakes" in Up-state NY. Also have plenty of area for grass/snow(now and I hope finally only ankle deep) practice. For grass do you roll/overhead line out, turn 60/90* and then do lift and casting movements? Continue to turn the 60/90* using downwind hand up, ending up casting in circles or what? In open water start with "dangle" parallel to shoreline and cast into lake? Any advise welcome, Thanks

·
Registered
869 Posts
cast straight out in front of you then pick it up into a single spey and make the cast to your right (for righties). then turn your body 90 and pick up a double spey and cast straight out again. repeat ad nasuem. obviously you can do other casts as well. if the water is not moving it just a matter of turning your body position for different casts once you have laid the line out in one direction.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
practice!

remember it well!,would grass cast nearly every morning,noon sometimes,finish the day on the water :hihi:but we're talking practice,,, sometimes trying lines ,rods, back to back,my casting regimen would be;after loosening up the body,tightening the ferrels=single spey,extending distance and getting a feel for loading with the upper and lower hand versus the rod/line,and when it `might' be advantageous to load with either hand to help the cast,then single spey with direction change the main objective,starting close then extending range,then overhead work to get a feel for=once again=rod/line combo and my body timing,once again extending range,then change of direction on overhead,now you're on fire!!!!,if you can go around in a circle without `tagging down',,,and put it where you want it anywhere in the circle,,,then you're ready for a couple special casts,,double hauling using your hip for anchoring the base of the rod,`double hauling' with the left hand down to the butt on the lift,then,change of direction `double hauling,starting close,extending range,now for some fun,see if you can pick up line from the dangle and convert it to a circular overhead without tagging down,yes,a `circle' overhead,then laying the line back out strait anywhere you want it,,,i don't practice much anymore,,,unfortunately,,,i'm holding myself back,,,but i could do all those things just a few months back,now i'm lucky to wet a line :D i wouldn't bother casting ~at~ a lake unless i was fishing it,,,grass casting is way,way different than casting/fishing in a moving stream,that's where the real deal is anyway ;) ,so if you're actually on water;don't forget to change the initial forward drive timing from what you think is too quick too what is obviously too slow ;) and my best advise=learn the feel of the tip of your rod,it will save your cast if you make a mistake tagging down,but,i'm going way tooo deeep into my own untutored style!hahaha!,and wife is cleaning,making noise,,maybe it's time to go do some practice,,find an instructor! i'm not one!:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts