Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sage 10151 the top two sections are stuck together. I can't remove the male ferrule from the female. This is the delicate part of the rod so I can only use my fingers/hands.

I used my beeswax and the quarter turn twist insert as recommended.

Both techniques did a great job of holding together over 4 plus hours of casting.

However, now I can't get the two sections apart.

Help!!!:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
141 Posts
stuck ferrules

About a year ago, or longer, there was a long discussion on this. I think that Fred had a stuck rod. He tried many of the groups numerous recommendations, and finally got it apart by making a dam to surround the ferrule with ice. It popped loose.

If my memory is right, Fred could give you some pointers. Or do a search of the archives

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nevada caster re ice

I had a great T&T rod, the 10', 6 weight, four piece steel head single handle rod.

The ferrules got stuck quite often, and my son the project manager/engineer suggested putting the male ferrule section on ice cubes and under ice cubes with my hot hand on the female ferrule. It worked.

I will check with Fred. Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
stuck rod

During this discussion, I was of the opinion that you should heat the male ferrule or cool the female. the solution was to sbmerse the whole thing in an ice cold bath. I think that he used aluminium foil to make a "dam" or container to hold the ice

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The ice or heat stuff will work but often is not practical back at the car after fishing. Doublespey taught me a cool trick a few years ago that will work in most cases - he carries a pair of rubber gloves (like for washing dishes) in his tackle bag. Stick those on. twist and pull - and the rod comes apart. It is quick and easy, you may still need to find some ice, but this generally works.

·
Registered
141 Posts
gloves

You can buy a thin sheet of rubber from most places that sell kitchen gadgets. It is made to open jars. One side is rough to grip the jar lid. I cut one in half and carry it in my vest. takes very little space.

However, in Fred's case, none of the easy solutions worked! He eventually went to the ice where he succeeded

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
The 'winner' of my stuck rod contest suggested..

the 'ice cube trick.' It really works well, doesn't effect the rod, and you've got a zero probability of breaking the tip.

Take a 6" ish square of aluminium foil, and put under the stuck fer., stack ice cubes around the fer., wrap foil so cubes are all the way around the fer., and let it sit for 5 minutes. The two sections should pop right apart (ps: no surprise it's a sage rod. My sages are the only one's I've ever had this problem.)

After the sections are apart, take the ice cubes and put them in a glass, add a touch of single malt ... hate to waste good cubes.

:devil:

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I often use the ice trick when I have a cooler in the truck with beverages and chow.

now, the BEST ice cubes for this are:

those shaped like a cylinder with a hole in the middle, the kind you get in bag ice at some supermarkets. With one side melted away you can slip this on the rod and it fits around the ferrule like a glove. Works every time!

I believe either the store in Glide or the Safeway in Roseburg sells this type of ice cube, because I always seem to have them handy when fishing the Umpqua

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Steve, that's a "cool" idea.

You can buy ice cube trays in a lot of different 'configurations.' A new use for the freezer.
fae

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't know about the ice... but the rubber glove thing or some other rubber thing works. You can also, with or without the gloves, place the rod behind your knees, bend over and bend your knees slightly, with your wrists against your outer thighs , and push out to the sides... the combo of leg and arm should free them.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Striblue

your suggestion works. My Dad showed me that technique many years ago. I have not had to use it reciently.

Rich

·
Registered
630 Posts
using the water too

Along with the rubber and behind the legs goes submerging the rod in the river to cool it, shrinking that heated up male back to his normal size. Kinda like takin' a cold shower, boyz!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Carl, in the dead of 'your winters.'...

suspect this would work pretty darned well.
:devil:

Being an 'ex' Canuck, loved "exporting" our winters south to you Yanks.
:D
fae

·
fish bum
8 Posts
ste the ferrule in ice for a little while then warm it with your hands then pull the cold and warm cause the molecules to contract and expand i had to do it twice this summer

·
Registered
141 Posts
stuck ferrules on rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Some poor soul had stuck ferrulses on rec.outdoors.fishing.fly. It came apart with a cold water bath. However someone in the rod repair business suggested the following. He swears by it.

Takes three people. Two gently try to pull the rod apart. the third stands by the stuck ferrule and and rotates it in a large circle perpindicullar to the length of the rod. I've not seen or heard of that one before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts