Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally just brush them off but this is getting old.

I was fishing with a good friend yesterday and really enjoying the day. Then a guide in a boat with HOOKER GUIDE SERVICE on the side of the boat drops in. He is fishing on top of the water we are swinging. In other words, we can't cast. I pull out my phone and start shooting video which he sees and starts pushing down.

A little later we pass him on the river and he yells, in a drunken voice, "Hey we saw you ******* up river."

I am a guide and I can't even imagine pulling this **** on the river. I am respectful of everyone fishing regardless of technique. As I said, I normally brush these dipshits off but this seems to be a growing trend with gear guides. Just being flat out rude on the river.

Vent over...

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,694 Posts
Here is an idea

1-Largest possible intruder cast with target in back odf rude guides head

2- cast to snag unwanted lines, pull as much in as possible and snip

Deal with the rest on the riverbank...Sometimes unfortnatly that is what it takes

Or just accept that there are a considerable amount of ass..... in the world

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
1-Largest possible intruder cast with target in back odf rude guides head

2- cast to snag unwanted lines, pull as much in as possible and snip

Deal with the rest on the riverbank...Sometimes unfortnatly that is what it takes

Or just accept that there are a considerable amount of ass..... in the world
Yep...this pretty much sums up my feelings. I've just sucked it up most times in the past. However, with a few more years on me my give a damn has busted a bit more so am more willing to express my feelings. Here in Montana we have some incredibly popular tailwaters that are over run with people and guides. Most guides are professional and courteous...but have had my fair share of idiots while trying to spend time on the water with my kids. Now, I won't even consider some water in the summer. Unfortunately, I think that's part of the plan for the "idiots"...piss off the local and I'll not come back. The disclaimer...this is not targeted at guides as a whole...just the "idiots" as referenced. Fall is when the fools go back to where they came from, so that's when I float our rivers. For summer...I finally picked up a walleye / pike lake boat to find my own water. One of the best family decisions I've ever made.

To the OP...I'd take the picture and turn them in with guide number. I know the steelhead water I typically fish...many times with guides...the guides are aware of the ramifications of bad reports to the authorities.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unfortunately being an idiot isn't a crime . i don't know what authority ODFW has on guides but in Washington i doubt they'd even respond to this.
Idaho and Montana are a different story as they both have a Board of Outfitters that hear these complaints far too often.
One way is to contact the company . if he's not the only guide the owner may be glad to hear this and have the chance to deal with it internally .
I've dealt with this type of behavior in a number of ways over the years and have concluded the way to effectively curtail it lies in targeting the sport.
I'll ask the sport blatantly if this is what he/she had in mind when they booked the trip ? Are they this rude when they're not being guided ? If you were the guide in this situation , would you expect to be rewarded for this behavior ?
Pour it on , and don't let the guide get a word in . he'll move on and spend the rest of the day trying to explain away his idiocy.
Now don't be fooled , I'm aware that often the guide and sport are of the same mind and nothing you say will change it.
In that case , knowing I won't be exchanging xmas cards with the fool anyway , I can get pretty creative .
I won't let anyone **** on my day , no matter what their occupation .

·
JD
3,612 Posts
hookerguideservice.com/reviews

Yeti,

I too have had my share of @$$hole guides fish right down through my water as if I were not even there. And I have contemplated numerous schemes for dealing with them. Mostly though, I just try to convince myself that I will not allow them to ruin my time on the river. I think that, in your case, a negative review on his website might help relieve the tension. :saevilw: (hoping the admin staff makes an exception in posting a link)

·
Releasing the wild ones
220 Posts
This is a good start post this thread on numerous boards locally so that perspective clients read a whole bunch of negative comments and post it on Angie's list and everything you can find. hurt him in the pocket book. There are tools use them.

CM

·
Banned
894 Posts
I would think the concern of this whole situation is the use of alcohol on the water. This probably led to the whole thing going bad. I'm not sure poking the bear on the river is the right approach either but maybe you could do a video and post it on you tube with the footage you have and headline the video with the name of the company. Bad reviews can really hurt them and maybe they will be chased off the water by other guides that operate a proper business and don't want the bad press. Sorry to hear of your run in, can sure ruin a day

·
Registered
417 Posts
Its been 25 years since I've been on the sticks. This year I will be back on them and the tiller since i just bought a cute little wooden power pram. The thing that worries me the most is navigating and being as courteous as i can so not to do something boneheaded unknowingly. I hope to follow etiquette properly. I would think a guide would cherish his integrity more than to be so rude. So I'll just avoid the weekends for awhile to avoid the crowds. Rob

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hell of it is I know exactly who the poster is talking about.

95% of Guides are most respectful of bank angler's as they know we have 50 to 100 yards of beach and that's about it. They have 5-10 miles of river we can't get to save for some serious 'bush-wacking.' The other '5%' are quite something else.

Only had (that I can think of) two 'confrontations' with a guide/clients. Neither was 'pretty.' :saevilw:

Good Guides I knew. THEIR BE FISH!! :Eyecrazy: Blew on my emergency Police whistle, pointed to the upper end of the beach ..... One was Rich Henry, a Kalamath Indian, me trying to teach Wife 2.0 how to fish was an ERROR IN JUDGEMENT. :(

'You go sit.'

He standing behind 2.0 with his arms around her shoulders: 'You close eyes, I humm, you to think about this music as we swing our arms.' Her first fish was about 18 pounds. "Queen of the Campground" fish was the main course at the 'Pot Luck' dinner at the RV park. 'Redhead woooman' do 'gush,' as they serve up the plates. 'These are red potato/ onions/eggs I made... 'etc.' Every one knew she would have trouble boiling water. I just refilled my coffee mug and walked away.

Back, somewhat, on point.

A few times, Chetco and Smith River's, 'What's you got old guy?' (Why never the Rogue???)

Pointed:

'Get your Clients and bring them down, place is stuffed with fish.' POINT-POINT!!:eek:

Once 'Ms.Joanie' was 'disrespected' in Public, I had to be 'restrained.' "Mr. Evans we will handle this." If I had to make a guess they beat the shxt out of him.

·
Rainbow/Waterfall/Unicorn
138 Posts
Bummer standard procedure these days

Sorry to hear of your recent run-in on the river Yeti.

Unfortunately (at least in WA state), this has become the norm over the past few seasons.
I don't have any suggestions on how to handle situations like this, other than what my fishing partner and I did a couple weeks back on the OP. After an Under Armor clad, new-age guide almost removed our rod tips in a run we were stepping through...we simply reeled up, broke our rods down, hiked back to the rig, and drove home in the silence we were hoping to find on the river.
Even though I have been a long time owner of multiple forms of water craft, I now leave the boat(s) at home, and try to fish above floatable access wherever/whenever possible.

WA state is in serious need of guide reform. Sounds like OR could benefit from the same?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like the idea of speaking to the guide's clients

There's no shortage of rude fly-only guides in case someone out there thinks that this affliction is unique to guides fishing bait or gear. On the Skeena & tribs, there are a couple of guides and lodges that are notorious for intimidating tactics, verbal abuse, rowing over your water, etc. There are then all the rest of the guide operations that are embarrassed by the black hats. Whether this bad behavior ever translates into something tangible like a reduction in rod days isn't something I'm aware of.

Yes, you can throw flies at them and maybe take out an eye. You start cutting lines, you'd better be ready to throw down. If you provoke a fight, there are plenty of unintended consequences possible even before alcohol gets factored into the mix. I think it's rather too easy to type this sort of advice.

Taking photos and complaining to the guides' owner, notifying fish & game, public name-and-shame via boards like this, and even a YouTube video posting are great non-violent ways of getting the message out.

I also like the idea of talking to the clients. Most are either embarrassed by their guide's behavior or ignorant as to etiquette. Last fall a guide boat had an easy path behind my fishing buddy and me, yet the guide turned the boat sideways and slid down the 4' deep run not 20' away. I told the guide in a loud voice that this was the reason his lodge had such a bad reputation. If I were a client and my guide did that I'd be ashamed. The guide got on his oars and was downstream a long way in a hurry.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,694 Posts
When the scissors are out it is expected to throw down

Sometimes barbarak behavoir is all that is understood. Not saying you can't pack up and go home, but what does that teach the a..holes....That it is easy to claim a run

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
That's him wayvik. I checked it out, too.

There is a place for comments on his page...but I'm willing to bet he would leave that one out.

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the comments gentlemen. Yes the State Marine Board does have a complaint filing process.

I went through is once when a really bad guide dropped in and started pulling plugs in my clients water. He proceeded to start yelling at me "You better get the f^@$ out of my water. I have been guiding here for 25 years and you are in my water." Later down river he passed us again and I asked the name of his guide service. He went off twice as hard. The profanity coming out of his pie hole was epic.

I wrote the State Marine board and they contacted him for his side of the story. He said they were fishing a hole and I came in and started swearing at them for being there. All complete BS as anyone who knows me would attest to. The Marine board replied that they felt it was just a case of two guides miss understanding what the rules of conduct were.:Eyecrazy:

I will let this one float down the river. The next time we have an encounter it will be on video. That will make it a little tougher for the Marine board to blow off.

It is sad really. We live in a beautiful place and we really enjoy the river. Guys like this make us all look bad to the visitors that enjoy our rivers.:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You should.come fish the Skykomish in early June, will have 5-15 jets fish on top of you all day, some multipale times. I really like informing clients that the guide they hired is unethical and has to fish on top of bank anglers because they dont know how to find fish on there own. Next pass is at guides head while informing him if he values his clients safety not to do another pass. Lots of words every year even had a guy threaten to kill me, invited him to the bank but on his next pass he went to the other side. I think his fishing partner had some inteligence.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Judging by this guy's website he has zero respect for the resource. Clients gil gripping native summer runs on the Rogue? No helping folks like that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I will let this one float down the river. The next time we have an encounter it will be on video. That will make it a little tougher for the Marine board to blow off.
I think this might be a great approach Yeti. I'm sorry to hear about your encounter. I work for a company that makes this kinda stuff for cops. From what we've seen not only do you get the truth straight up, but a lot of times if they see a camera people tend to pipe their crap down and move along. Thus preventing stupid behavior from happening in the first place....

1 - 20 of 97 Posts