Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the Net and boy there is some much information out there where dose on start.?

These questions I am ask every week by some one wanting to break into Speycasting.

Give me you thoughts on this.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
howdy aaron,

the obvious answer is to visit your domain (if possible) and try one of the many trees located in your forest of graphite.

Unfortunately I don't think there are many places like yours to try before you buy and to get hands on instruction from such dudes like Mike or Brian, oh and you too, so then spey pages is a nice start to get the ball rolling as well. Lots of useful and infromation here.

I know all the information on the net/magazines etc... it is all useful if you have knowledge of the company or have cast the rod before but means nothing to the uninitiated. Speaking from personal experience, if I had known you existed before I bought my first spey outfit, I would definitely not have bought the rod I did to start adn would spent more time with your instruction.

I notice a lot of claves going on and that is another resource to look into as well as Meiser's field test program where you can try before you buy so there is another option.

It definitely seems that there are more avenues becoming available to the new comers of all things spey and that means good things are bound to come out of it.

Vinnie, the soon to be East Coaster :(
though I get to go striper fishing with the ol' man :)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Instruction

first if you are new to spey casting. That wa you get to try some rods and lines, and learn to use them at the same time. You also get some idea of what type of action you like.

Then it is to River Run Angler or a good clave like the Sandy to test them out and see what you really like best. That process would have resulted in a number of rods not purchased. The rods are fine, just others that I now prefer and selling doesn't get you bask to the beginning. Of course there is always the lessons learned!!! That has to be worth something too?!!! :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
All very good answers above. But a 'newbie' frequently falls into the hands of a shop with only one or two rods and a few lines. "Come to me my Child .. oh, and how's the balance on your credit card?" (Eyes now flick left and right, a 'come over here' movement of the chin ..) "This one's my Fav. of all rods (and the only one in the store), it's THE double hander of double handers; it's called the ORKA Killer. At 15' of pure strength and beauty YOU could stop a whale with this baby." (Picture eye's now glazing over!)

" You load this baby up with a 10/11 XLT or Grand Spey (we have both in stock) and you're good to go agains ANYTHING that swims."

Point of all that is most folks get FAR too much rod the first time out. Too much as in length and line weight. With a minor exception, I've yet to met/teach anyone who could handle a 14' or longer, 9 wt or more rod the first time out. Stick to to a 13-6 for a 7-8 and you can develop 'good habits' without exhausting the newbie.

Two best rods for 'teaching' I've run into were the 13-3 Burkie and the 13-6 Meiser 'fes.' The 13-6 7wt Sage is a close third. (Suspect the 7141 Sage may also rank right up there for a bit longer rod.)

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Aaron,

Whenever someone asks me this question, the first thing I do is ask him/her what size fish he is going to be fishing for, whether summer, winter, or both, the size flies he expects to use most of the time, the size of the rivers he fishes most often, and the type of rod action he likes in single hand rods.

I do this because unless I have an idea of what he is planning on using the rod for the majority of his fishing time with it, he will never be happy with the rod because it will not be the best tool for his needs. If summer only is his goal, I'll steer him to rods in the 7-9 wt area from 13'-14'. If he is looking for winter only, I steer him to rods in the 9-11 wt range from 14'-15'. If he wants something to use year round for steelhead and perhaps coho or pinks, I'll steer him toward a 14'-15' 9 wt.

I almost always recommend a mid-belly line because it is not so long that he will have problems aerializing the belly after some practice while it is long enough for him to develop good solid technique. I also recommend to mid-belly line because his casting errors will clearly show up with it instead of being masked like is likely with short-belly lines.

Rod action I recommend to him is entirely dependent upon the type of action he prefers in single hand rod. If he has never fly cast before, I will steer him toward a moderate action rod.

As far as price range, it depends on how much the man wants to spend.

I also always recommend a person go to your Saturday get togethers for some instruction and to have the chance to cast several different rods of the size and line weight he ought to look at for his needs. And I recommend that he get some instruction from someone who is competent.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Interesting post Fred. I've personally found that most steelheaders anyways, get into double handed rods for winter fishing or very large rivers and it is only once they catch the fever if you will, that they then pick up a rod for summer fishing. All three rods you mentioned are good rods but unless they were wanting to go the skagit line route, I would not recomend them to a novice who was wanting a rod for winter fishing.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Fred, not sure about the fly shops in your area but the ones up here are pretty good about trying to get a person into an outfit that will work for them. Most of the shop owners know that the it is the return business that keeps them going. I doubt that they are going to even mildly screw a guy over just to make one sale. The ones I shop at go out of their way to get the customer what they need and want. If they didn't I doubt they would be in business very long.

With that said. I suggest the new guy find someone that uses the long rod and bug them to death with questions. Ask them if they will take them out and show them how it all works. Also find a shop they are confortable with and do the same to them.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My first question is, what type actioned rod do you fish with now and then go on from there. With some of the questions that Fred has stated.
Leroy.........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts