Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fished the 5 weight 1265 and 8 weight (1338)? I get the impression that the 8 weight is not nearly as good as the 1265. And then how does the 1338 compare to a tfo 6 weight

·
Banned
161 Posts
1338 or 1336?

I'm not sure a comparison between the 1265 and 1338 is even possible. I have the 1265 and 1336 and think that those 2 rods are worlds apart. The 1265 is a sweet rod that will get more and more acclaim as people discover it as an option and fish it. A very light rod, suitable for large redsides but also capable of handling small summer steelhead.

The 1336 is really more of a 7 weight and a rod that I really like. I am currently putting together a skagit line for it that will weigh in excess of 500 grains.

I like both of my Anderson a lot, but cannot compare them. The 1338 is even a more robust rod and while I have heard great reviews on it, I don't really think you can make the comparison.

My .02,

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Anderson Rods

I have the 1265 and the 1337 Anderson Rods. This summer I landed steelhead and coho on the 1265 that where in the 10-12lb range and it handled it no problem. I agree with JGS the 1265 is very light, sweet, and can cast 70ft with ease. The 1337 is about 5% more powerful (Gary's estimate) and has a little slower recovery than the 1336, but both really work well for tips and the shorter windcutter type lines. I haven't tried it with a longer belly line. I have used the 1338 and for some reason it is not that much like these other rods. It is a little stiffer in the but section and is really a heavy tip rod in my opinion. If I owned it I would use it with short heavy shooting (skagit) heads. Anyway, in short, all of his rods are a little different and you should cast them to see which action you like.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have cast two of his rods - the ACR 1336 and the 1337 -so can't answer directly but I really do like his rods - I have not had much experience with the 1336 - it is similar to my Scott 1287 and thus I decided to opt for the 1337 to better fill in my arsenal - probably a heavy 7 or light 8. It casts a AIRFLO Delta 7/8 like a dream and does a great job with the xlt 7/8. It handles tips with absolutely no problems. The line of choice of many with the lighter 1336 is a modified xlt with 10 feet cut out of the back end. They are relatively fast action rods but very smooth casting and do well both short and long

1 - 4 of 4 Posts