Spey Pages banner

What is your preference?

• Scandi shooting heads

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Skagit shooting heads

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Spey or overhead casting

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Spey, scandi, skagit, it's all good baby!

Votes: 20 40.8%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Peter's video on the GLoomis Pro4x switch (which is excellent) and I really enjoyed his illustration and casting was spot on (to me) he uses a traditional 90ft 5wf line to Spey/OH a skagit and I can't remember if there was another (long day)

But it made me curious. Do you all have a preference? I've noticed my line choice is as much a personal preference as it is an environmental one (conditions/weather/type of fly) traditionally working my way back from my fly to line to Rod. But now I'm finding myself evolving from weighted small streamers, to articulated slightly larger streamers, and now almost strictly wet/classic non weighted flies with few exceptions being some trout intruders.

I was a strict scandi head for years then managed to love skagit and now I'm enjoying more single spey work. Not sure why stripping bothers people, I catch a lot of fish on the strip as much as the swing.

I guess I feel pretty spoiled because I really like them all and when I'm either picking my line before leaving the house or I'm on the river bank deciding on what to cast, I feel like a kid in a candy shop :)

Your thoughts?

Reactions: shotgunner

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Pretty much silk DT lines, both spey and overhead. I do occasionally use a WF plastic line for spey (I guess scandi in your poll). Not a choice though in the poll for DT lines.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's not a choice that covers what I do, so I picked the last choice.

I use standard WF single hand lines in floating and sinking varieties, plus compact skagit heads. I swing wets and streamers, skate surface flies, then I'll switch up to indicator nymphing, stripping streamers, or dead drifting dry flies. I fish lakes with mine and the long rods work great for indicator fishing with chironomids, I'll use an intermediate line to fish streamers and small wet flies with. The light double hander is one of the most versatile, fun fishing rods in my arsenal right now. I'm building a micro spey on a 9 foot 6 weight single hand blank which should be a fun one. I will likely do the same with it - with short Skagit heads to standard single hand lines.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've been using a Steve Godshall line, his nympher supreme, for nymphing and swinging with poly leaders. It's basically a scandi on steroids with an integrated handling and running line. Man, does it turn over mono leaders with heavy nymphs or split shot with ease. I was experimenting with an OPST commando head and have used SH lines, but neither are as versatile or just plain fun to cast as the SGS line.

Reactions: J.James

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
My personal (and subjective) definition of a "Trout Spey" is a rod 11'+ with fairly soft action and working well with pretty light lines.

To be most productive and biggest chance of encounter with outsized fish a light Skagit head and tip is (my) best option. However, on warm summer days, with some emergence taking place, casting a 4/5 Ballistic Vector and soft hackle brings on a case of perma-grin.. and a few trout, occasional good one in the mix.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wulff TT lines #4 and #5 for dry fly, wet fly and nymps. Airflo Scandi Compact 270 and 360 grain for wet fly, nymps and small streamers with imtermediate poly. OPST Commando 200 and 225 for heavy streamers and sinktips.
Looking for Rio Scandi Short Versitip #4!

All on 4 rods, 2 SH and 2 DH.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great feedback! Thanks

You're right I didn't consider the DT silk and I forgot about the ballistic vector lines, nice!

It's interesting to see how many people are "Spey" casting with SH rods.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess I feel pretty spoiled because I really like them all and when I'm either picking my line before leaving the house or I'm on the river bank deciding on what to cast, I feel like a kid in a candy shop :)
I feel that way, too, from dries to nymphs to streamers. I use a DT for softie and dry work (love mending with a DT), nymph with a Speydicator, and use a Commando/Trout Skagit for swinging/stripping streamers. I enjoy it all, but streamers take up a good chunk of time from Oct to Apr for me - so I'm digging these new skagits. Come Apr I'll be back into softies a little more...

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I've been using a Steve Godshall line, his nympher supreme, for nymphing and swinging with poly leaders. It's basically a scandi on steroids with an integrated handling and running line. Man, does it turn over mono leaders with heavy nymphs or split shot with ease. I was experimenting with an OPST commando head and have used SH lines, but neither are as versatile or just plain fun to cast as the SGS line.
Ditto on Steve's really light lines AND he builds a heck of a great 'whisper stick' for trout fishing and low water Summer Run Steelhead fishing. Mines a 2/3 at 12.5 feet and a 'all day' rod.

fae

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I have been liking the new Rio SH spey line, 6wt on a medium-fast 905. Overhead casts great, SH spey casts great. It depends on the application but I do also have a couple of competing a switch rods that have been getting used instead in about %70 of the situations. I'm hoping this setup will get me back into using a SH more for trouty fun this year. But I just had Steve make me a removable switch grip for it, so I'm in business. I'm sure even my first commando head is inevitable at some point. :)

·
AJS Reels
421 Posts
Different lines to suit water size

Have been playing around with cut heads lately, a Rage 330gr made a 210gr 18' head which suits smaller water on my SH Beulah 6wt switch conversion, casts and acts like a mini Rage. The remaining piece 120gr 10' which was the rear part, fished on 4wt 8' Loomis Pro4-X acts like a Commando head, great in tight water with sinking 5' poly leaders.
Early impressions of the S.A. Short Belly Taper in 6wt with spey casts and mono/light poly leaders are looking good as I wanted an all round line in SH rating for "Switching".

Reactions: J.James

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really nice to see the varying experiences with lines and rods. Much more interesting than I would have expected

Thanks for sharing all

Keep on it!

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Just catching up with this thread.

Here's a few vids on single hand Spey casting with trout sticks:

Airflo Switch float on single and switch rods - https://youtu.be/AMX0a3_P-q0

Airflo 40+ line - two videos, mostly trout sticks - part 1 https://youtu.be/J47XQGfkzOQ part 2 https://youtu.be/XJUyw-acgh8

Spey casting an NRX 3 wt. with a 3 wt. Ridge line on a little creek - https://youtu.be/FRUiubZCN0w

Spey casting an NRX 4 wt. with a modified Velocity intermediate - https://youtu.be/IhyK2F1P_-U

Small stream fishing, mostly Spey casting, with a cane 7' 4/5 and a 5 wt. Ridge line - https://youtu.be/iOFGoK5za2o

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've been using SGS skandit lines on my 1172 &1214 trout sticks! I still use classic steelhead swinging methods for trout and am able to high-stick pocket water or strip in method as well.Love the skandit line! Classic Scandi then loop off the 7+ feet floater off the front and then hitch on some polys or light T -material to get down to the meat eaters . A very versatile line IMO. For light sub 300 grainers ,give P-line hydra-float #50 a try for a running line. Amazing distance increase in casting to reach that fishy looking water that's just a little to far out. Easy on the wallet too!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts