Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Nuggets

Here are a few nuggest to chew on....

Traditional action is a rod which bends from the tip to the cork. Typically they are on the slow side and they easily throw as much or as little line as you like with little effort on your part. The more traditional the action the bigger the sweet spot is going to be.

Progressive rods offer bend along the whole length but are often a bit faster and certainly more powerful in the tip than a traditional action. A progressive rod usually needs a bit more line weight to become active. A progessive action will push back on the caster during the days fishing and are therefore a bit more phyical to cast. That said they still have a pretty large sweet spot and some extra horsepower if you need it to get out of trouble.

Stiff rods offer little bend along the length of the rod and certainly do not bend into the lower part of the sections or the handles. I do not know many things that a stiff rod is good for other than holding a tent up. Stiff rods have small sweet spots and are like using a driver on the golf course. If you hit it right it goes out of sight. (Of course this is my personal opinion)

Fast action rods bend along the entire length but the tips recover very quickly during the cast. These rods should not be confused with STIFF action as a good underhand rod bends along its entire length. FAST refers to the recovery speed. When you release the power during a cast the power is released like a rifle shot and the line goes out like a laser beam. A well made fast action rod is a delight to cast all day long. The action is especially suited to underhand style casting and short Spey Shooting Head lines. I think there is nothing better for sunk line fishing. Fast action rods, especially super fast underhand rods are not particularly good for throwing long belly lines.

For my $$ I have Traditional action rods to fish long floating lines and Underhand Super Fast rods to fish full sinking heads. Both styles make me a happy and effective fisher.

Get as much input as you can as this is only one persons interpretation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
different types of rods

Thank you Speyman That was a great help. I have a Fly Logic that I like and seem to be able to cast somewhat. I am still learning and enjoy all the work in getting it done. Thank you again. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Love Those Nuggets

Good stuff Jack. If only I had your "nuggets" piece before I started blindly casting away. The mystery and intrigue of spey fishing unravels slowly for me. I've stumbled through a few rods now and I would like to add emphasis to one aspect of Jack's pearl. I have found it very difficult to fish a sunk fly with a soft / full action rod. It's just harder, ( for me ), to get those sink tips out of the water with a rod that is bent into the corks. Enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fast Rods and longer bellies

......Are n't for beginners. Found this to my cost when I bought a Loop green 1510 and tried it with a Midspey. I'm not Ian Gordon or Kush by any stretch of the imagination, but I dont normally struggle to get 30 yards out in good conditions, but this combo was just horrible. Really hard work.

However, I've just got some Loop adapted heads and put them on the Green line and its an absolute rocket launcher! Feels like a totally different rod.

I would say Jack is spot on when he recommends fast rods for underhand work with heads and short bellies. This combination works particularly well for sinking lines. I'm going to have to look at a CND Salar or something similar for fishing floating long bellies in the summer.(Oh no, another rod :hihi: )

If you want to fish Scando style, then buy the right tool for the job. Similarly, if you want to fish long bellies fine and far off, you need something different, at least until you get seriously proficient in the casting department.

I know Dana has been casting 'underhand stylie' with fast rods and long bellies, but as far as speycasting goes,he's Tiger Woods, I'm Mr Havercam :)

Sam

·
JD
3,646 Posts
this site IS great

it, and one of Dana's articles, pointed me in the right direction when I first got into this Spey thing. Jack also has a nice page, or two, on his website The Irish Angler. Very informative for newbies re: rods, lines, the whole Spey thing.

·
loco alto!
3,226 Posts
there have been some really good answers to this post. I always thought there were 5 different kinds of rods

1) those you already have and like a lot
2) those you already have and want to sell
3) those you've already sold
4) those you want
5) those you don't want

am I missing any? There's another category that occasionally is discussed, those you've sold and wish you hadn't! That's really 3+4

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
types of spey rods

I have a Fly Logic Dec Hoigan FLO+1409/4. Sorry for the delay in this response. I have notd been on this computer for a while. Thank you all.

·
JD
3,646 Posts
missing any

SSPey said:
there have been some really good answers to this post. I always thought there were 5 different kinds of rods

1) those you already have and like a lot
2) those you already have and want to sell
3) those you've already sold
4) those you want
5) those you don't want

am I missing any? There's another category that occasionally is discussed, those you've sold and wish you hadn't! That's really 3+4
As long as we are bordering on the ridiculous I might add that Spey rods are like women. They come in all varieties. long, short, fat, skinney, fast, medium & slow. They are all good,,,,it's just that some are better than others. :hihi:

·
fly on little wing
1,164 Posts
yo J

that is a good all around rod. I like it alot. it casts well and fights fish equally as good. It has a quick action. I use a ms 8/9 most of the time with it. I also use a wc 9/10/11 and the same wc with a bb400 less the first 2 tips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
type of rods

I drove my truck over the rod and broke it. I called Fly Logic and they send my a new rod, that is a great company. The line that they recomended is Delta Air Flo 8 weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.