Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
19,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These will be sent out the day after tomorrow to a good friend on the left coast . I was thinking of him as I tied these in hand , knowing he was a big fan of the pattern and ties them regularly . I just wanted to offer up some variation to what he normally uses .
Todd I know you have your goal set for a winter steelhead on top , but when you have a chance or feel that a change is in order , or even share with a friend (I will send a few more) , would you consider swinging these for me ??

A bit of a variation to the original ... somewhat of a dark and light version of the Winter's Hope . They are tied on old stock Partridge Bartleets from England #2's and #1/0's with barbs pinched and ready to go fishing . Should sink like stones for you Todd .

Dark Hope

Hook: Bartleet
Body: Embossed French silver tinsel with a tiny dubbing ball of metallic blue dubbing
Hackle: Steelie blue guinea and purple schallapan
Wing: Hot orange badger saddles
Cheeks: JC nails
Horns: Blue/Gold macaw
Head: Red

Light Hope

Hook: Bartleet
Body: Embossed French silver tinsel with a tiny dubbing ball of KF blue dubbing
Hackle: KF blue silver pheasant and purple schallapan
Wing: Orange saddle
Cheeks: JC nails
Horns: Blue/Gold macaw
Head: Red

One day I'll make it out there , I have many friends to visit , have tying sessions with and even share a run or three with :)

Mike

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Mike those are beauties! I'll sink a few if does not want to!:chuckle:

Thanks for sharing these made my day.

KC

·
Registered
895 Posts
Excellent takes on the Hope, Mike! A great pattern that you've made even better!!

I'm sure Todd will not hesitate to swing those.

I hear you on getting out that way! I was so close this year, but just couldn't make it happen. Looking forward to eventually meeting up with many of you!

-Bill

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Todd's "sinktips"

Righteous tying, Mike! As sexy a Hope as I have seen. Your variations are always a treat to see...one of these will be bogarted from Todd's collection the next time I fish with him (I like to borrow a fly or two and then give them back...unless the fish decides to keep the pattern:D)

I dig the pic as well...whachya doing new with the lens work?

Adrian aka "Todd's little brother" - as some nice Canadian lady once called me

·
Administrator
19,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gentlemen :)

I gave in , knowing Todd is addicted to surface steelhead , I better tie him something he may use .

Adrian , nothing going on with the lens , it's a cell phone pic :chuckle:
It came out pretty crappy so I decided to play around with Photobucket ... ooops :p:p
I think you better ask big brother for permission before you go raiding his boxes :hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Wooooo-eeeeee! Pretty stuff, Mike.

That white muddler/caddis is really sexy! Well done.

And as for the Hopes? Well, Todd and I fished yesterday (shutout) and he fished his WH's almost all day. Since he didn't hook up I think I can just call his current batch of them "Defective." Since his don't work now, he will have to tie on your beauties!

G

·
sinkers

those are all great for winter steelhead, should find the right depth. Those little muddler flees are a treat.

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane ......
951 Posts
Great looking bugs, Mike ........ I really love your style of tieing. Nicely done ........

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Mike:
Thanks for thinking of me with your tying!! Those Hopes and Muddlers look great. You bet I'll fish those!! Love the color blending on those WH variations, they will be my other hopes jealous.

See, now you've got Adrian motivated to come down for a day on the water with me.

Wishing all a blessed 2015!

Todd

·
Administrator
19,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks friends for the kind words :)

Todd , I'm stoked that you like these !!
My wife will post these out to you today ... as I head for work again :(

Mike

·
Undertaker
1,382 Posts
love those white muddlers

Nice tying. Those white muddlers will draw pulls, no doubt. If I may be so bold, a hint of blood red at the collar might improve their attractiveness.

·
Administrator
19,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice tying. Those white muddlers will draw pulls, no doubt. If I may be so bold, a hint of blood red at the collar might improve their attractiveness.
Yeah , I thought of that too ... when I was done the second fly :chuckle:

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts