Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I?ve been having issues with hooks straightening out. This has happened with both the Alec Jackson north country spider hooks and the Partridge trout spider hooks. It?s really annoying!
Anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations for hooks for small soft hackles?

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
I have always been a fan of Partridge Yorkshire Sedge hooks for softhackles.
I like the slight curve in the shank and feel it adds a "buggy" appearance :smokin:
Old Mustad 3906B hooks are excellent for larger fish and slightly heavier. These hooks do sink a little more than the Yorkshire hooks, so if you want a surface film presentation, adjust your casting angles slightly.

Mike

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Old Mustad 3906B hooks are excellent for larger fish and slightly heavier. These hooks do sink a little more than the Yorkshire hooks, so if you want a surface film presentation, adjust your casting angles slightly.

Mike
I love the 3906B. Just a great all around wet hook, though I found out last weekend it's 808's favorite hook for his Little Wang skate machine.

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
Yes, excellent hook !!
I use to tie small steelhead offerings on them as well for GL's steelhead. That Sproat bend has incredible fish holding capabilities !!

Mike

·
AJS Reels
421 Posts
Tiemco

While primarily not recognized as a soft hackle hook the Tiemco 3769 will solve your hook straightening issue, never had them fail on me, even when fishing a size 12 and being forced to 8lb tippet because of the ferocity of the grab, this is what I use for my "wets" as well;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had an Alec Jackson hook straighten but it was kinda my fault: hemmed in on three sides by thick willows, I made a bow-and-arrow cast to a deep water pocket along the bank. A much larger fish than expected took the fly and ran into whitewater below. The willows along the bank left me with no choice except to break off the fish or wrestle it back upstream towards me. I tried the latter, and the hook bent. I was surprised the 3x tippet didn't break first... I don't fault this to Alec Jackson hooks in particular as I've had just about every major name brand hook straighten. Are there particular situations where you find the hooks straighten, or are they straightening under normal circumstances?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, guys. I?ve used the Mustad 3366 for larger flies with no problems, so i?ll definitely check out the 3906.
Gallatonian, there?s nothing out of the ordinary going on that I can think of. It seems to happen with slightly larger fish right when they take the fly. I normally use 4x mono tippet when fishing softies, so it seems a bit odd that the hook would bend out instead of the tippet breaking. I?m not reefing on them either. When fishing small flies I just kind of tighten up after the grab rather than actually setting the hook.
Of course, it is possible that there is some operator error going on, but i?m not sure what the actual error is. I?ll try the suggested hooks and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
There is a 3906 and a 3906B. The B is the same wire, bend and eye, bu 1x long. Both are nice as wet fly hooks, the B just giving a bit more room for a body.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
433 Posts
I use a lot of 3906B hooks. They are very good. Mustad has some scud hooks that are 2 x strong and 2 x heavy #C068, also very strong, I use these also. Togens Fly shop in Vancouver has some 3x strong heavy wire scud hooks also. My fishing partner says they are very good.
I use these Mustads for all my soft hackles when fishing the Columbia River.
BJ

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've been liking Daiichi 1760's this summer. Nice shape and seem to be plenty strong. Steve Bird (Soft Hackle Journal editor) uses Tiemco 200r's almost exclusively. Super sexy bend

·
Banned
461 Posts
I've been liking Daiichi 1760's this summer. Nice shape and seem to be plenty strong. Steve Bird (Soft Hackle Journal editor) uses Tiemco 200r's almost exclusively. Super sexy bend
Tom,

You might want to look at the Daiichi #1530 nice medium hook also the World record "fly caught" king Salmon was caught on a #1530 size 6 hook that fish was 71 pounds. I also agree with you about the #200rs however that hook isn't very strong....my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've still got a good supply of Mustad 3906 & 3906b hooks. They just need a quick hook sharpening and are good to go.
Also like Daiichi 1530 and 1550 (lighter wire). Don't like the 200R as my experience is anything smaller than a size 10 will spring open on a decent fish.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part of the reason that I was trying the spider hooks was because of the straight eye. Not only are they pleasing to my eye, but I have it in my mind that they would be more effective in hooking fish.
Based on the recommendations above, it seems as if this is not a real concern?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm using Firehole Sticks 833, 609, or 633. I like that they're barbless and black nickel.

I still have a bunch of 3906's though.

·
Undertaker
1,325 Posts
Daiichi's 2571 (the Boss) hooks could be used for spiders. They are slightly short shanked, slightly down-eyed, and the strongest damn hooks I have ever tied on. Only major issue is the small range of sizes available (2-8). I don't know whether you are tossing soft hackles to large trout or to steelhead, but these hooks won't bend out on either.

·
Registered
263 Posts
To add yet another, I've been liking the Daiichi 2151 for large (size 6) soft hackles. Straight eye, curved shank, salmon hook. Doesn't go any smaller than 10 unfortunately. I do need to get some size 10s, I only have size 1-6...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts