Spey Pages banner

Hooks, feathers and pencils... can it be?

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  robmdq 
#1 ·
Hello friends

While i still can't get to the vise for a couple of weeks i can get some pencils and paper and just do some drawings, so here is the first one of (hopefully) a new series.

The fly depicted here is just an idea i had over a year ago to design a fly with some classic looking, my tying skills are not good enough (yet) to make it happen but i keep my hopes to tie it someday and maybe will frame it along with the drawing.

This time i used some recycled cardboard and color pencils, this is the first one i draw and paint on the spot.

Hope you like it, this one is pretty far from perfect, the hook is a little bit very miss shaped but well....

Cheers
Rob

See less See more
#8 ·
Thank you Max!

Man, those are pro paintings (the black ranger got me nuts) mine are just humble amateur sketches :)

I really like this. I'm looking forward to more. Hope you're feeling better.
-T
Thank you, T. I will try to keep posting them^^ no guarantees that all will be flies though ;)

I would have that tattooed on my arm !!!!

You are a very talented artist Rob !!! Keep posting your drawings my friend , we all love them :)

Mike
Thank you mate :D Oh man, now you made an idea pop up on my head... was thinking about a tattoo for quite sometime and something like this would be nice. But if you like it and want to honour it by having imprinted in your skin, do itm i would be most proud about it :hihi:

That's sweet looking! Keep the drawings coming and take care of yourself.

Borderfly
Thank you friend, i will do my best, i promise ;)

That would make for killer ink and equally killer framed up and on the wall! Get better man, so you can get to the vise and tie that up!
Thank you Bash, hopefully that will become true some of these days.

way cooooooool Rob I love your drawings keep up the great work

Rocky
Thank you, Rocky. I wish i had half of your skills to tie these kind of flies hehe who knows, maybe after two or three thousand triesd i will be able to make up just the body work hehe but i will give it a try in few weeks, would be interesting to see what comes out now and what comes out in a couple of years.

#6 ·
That would make for killer ink and equally killer framed up and on the wall! Get better man, so you can get to the vise and tie that up!

#9 ·
Nice-- Ive found that people who can draw are talented at any number of things from doing ornate blacksmithing work on a with a forge and anvil to tying flies. I think its due to talent and probably desire. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this. Does this come natural or have you had to work extra hard to develop it? Or Both? At any rate, its very nice.

#10 ·
Thank you

Uhm... that's a hard-to-answer question. I always had a natural (but obviously undeveloped hence wasted) talent for doing thinhs with my hands, i've done countless crafts (just the basics) in the school i had a little bit of leatherwork, pottery, baskets (wicker), carpentry, to name a few. Even did cloth tailoring, embroidery and tapestry haha but never a serious or formal enough training on any of them.

About drawing and painting, that is something i always wanted to learn but i couldn't, see... here can learn all kinf of arts for free, except plastic arts and they tend to be very expensive so i could never afford them but i still hope to take drawing and painting lessons someday in the future.

On the second part of the question, no. I know too many people who draw like gods but are completelly useless to do anything else with their hands enough to disagree with the idea. Maybe viceversa, people who has some easyness for manual job can draw quite decently but not the other way, at least this is in my little corner of the world, could be different in other places/societies and i think the topic is really fascinating to develop and research it.

#15 ·
Great work!! Rob.
Very inspiring! Got to get me hands back to brushes too : )
Thank you Mark, i look forward to seeing you brush in action, for me a color pencil is already almost too much to handle, not even think about a brush hehehe

Hey Roberto

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Your drawing are always something that inspires me to work towards perfection. Pen and pencil is something I have always wanted to try my hand at..

Yours are great....I think what I like best is you have your own personal flare in each drawing....I like that instead of trying to make it so perfect it looks like a photograph..personal flare...very cool

I still have the drawing you sent to me via Speypages of the Blue Cherry, going to get it framed for the wall in my tying room.

Nice to have you back my friend.
Thank you my friend!! i still owe you the original paper of the blue charm :eek: Will send it when i get to be able to go to the post office ;)

Hi Rob, Glad to see you up and active:)

Great drawing and fly, cant wait to see you tie it.

Dai:smokin:
Thank you friend :D I would have never thought i would be this active after the surgery, if it wasn't for the risk of contamination on the wound i would already be with the vise in front of me heheh

Splendid shading, Rob!

Mark (Yuhina), I dig your brushwork, bro!

Adrian
Thank you Adrian, oh i love working the shadows and lights.

#12 ·
Hey Roberto

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Your drawing are always something that inspires me to work towards perfection. Pen and pencil is something I have always wanted to try my hand at..

Yours are great....I think what I like best is you have your own personal flare in each drawing....I like that instead of trying to make it so perfect it looks like a photograph..personal flare...very cool

I still have the drawing you sent to me via Speypages of the Blue Cherry, going to get it framed for the wall in my tying room.

Nice to have you back my friend.

#16 ·
Thanks for the offer of the paper drawing of the Blue Cherry Roberto....just get better first then worry about your friends OK......:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Did you ever get to finish that great looking tying vise you were building????

#18 ·
No problem, Paul, i made the drawing for you and you shall have it :rolleyes:

Yes, it is finished, well... almost.... never did the blueing yet but it doesn't really matter, i was afraid to have another explosive jaw so wanted to test it deeply before investing more on it, now it alreadu has at least a hundred flies done, from #28's to 6/0 and the jaw held perfectly.

Way cool! I can hardly wait to see the fly once you have it tied. It ought to be a stunner.
Thank you Russ :D

#20 ·
Thank you Paul :D

I should have a better picture of the jaws somewhere.... the magnifier glass on that one (the vise was holding a #28 hook) is a bit in middle of the way....

Here! I knew i had some!!

Mostly what was changed from the first prototype is the thickness on the overall jaw, made it a tad longer and wider, and replaced an inner spring for an outter o-ring for the opening part.

#22 ·
So far i can tell it's over 500 hours.....

It is possible, but not before next year. I've been studing different ways to make them without loosing the craftmanship (before doing it industrial i rather prefer to keep it for myself) and found some very promising ideas. The year i still need is to make up my stuff and to gather some money to invest in raw materials and tools, got a nice supplier for the wood but before working onit i must dry it at least a year (traditional drying, not furnaces or stuff like that). It goes slow but steady, just need time and a little bit of good luck :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.