Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

In a recent thread where Chase ( http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=175233 ) tied up an incredible autum pattern, the idea was raised by Brood Dude (sorry guys, I'm really bad with remember real names and attaching them to forum handles) about getting all the talent on this site to put together a book. There certainly is more than enough talent here to get fill an encyclopedia of patterns, the question is, who would be interested in participating.

Obviously and undertaking like this is huge, and it certainly wouldn't move an inch without the approval of those in charge around here, but the potential is endless.

So, without putting the cart to far in front of the horse (again, approval is still required), who would be interested in contributing to a project like this?

I could certainly see this as a project that could raise a lot of money for non profit conservation groups in various regions.

I'll leave the post as is for now to see what kind of interest gets generated, then we'll see where it goes from there.

I hope I haven't over stepped any boundaries here with throwing this idea out there.

It's a great idea, just wish it had been mine ;). LOL

Scott.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am a firm believer that anything is possible. There are so many people on here that have displayed sooooo much talent. Why not share it?

I will start to pm some of you if you don't throw your hand up. I think it would be really cool to have guys that don't have huge names in the industry. That being said... Dec and Marty having you guys in would be awesome!

They way I see it, I'd like to have as many patterns as possible and the book would have the same kind of layout as Steelhead flies by John Shewey. A ring binding that can be flipped over a million times.

It will be work and it will take some time. If some of the sponsores want to kick in for printing costs they will get some press (advertising) in the book.

If you are keen to help with other areas like publishing editing photography printing or anything else I can't think of I want to hear from you!

I see the simplest way is for guys that want to contribute to get a bunch of patterns together and mail them in so they can be photograhed, with sbs maybe a little about how the pattern came together IE I use this when its high and dirty or as a come back fly.... I also think that a short bio would be good about who you is and what your all about...

So if one of the mods could chime in just so we know it's cool? Let's see how much intrest there is and who is willing to step up and help out.

Thanks scott for getting this going, and to all of you for reading this!

Ben

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I'd be happy to contribute - some tubes, and some low-water ties for Atlantics ;)

Mike

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,705 Posts
Please

Have a Haiwing Section and accept my attempts, sounds fun. Maybe any profit could go to a good cause... not sure

Don't know that my work deserves any type of book but I'd send some stuff...

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great work Ben. I think that structure sounds ideal.

I can talk to a friend of mine who is a fantastic photographer, I'm sure I could twist his arm into shooting the flies.

Looking forward to seeing this shape up over the next few days.

Scott

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ok I just spoke with a local fella Aaron Goodis and he is on board to do the photography.

And yes absolutely! I would like to see classics dee's spey's dry flies and everything in-between. As well as some tied in hand stuff…

I think the world has seen enough lady Carolines. THIS BOOK SHOULD BE ABOUT THE PATTERNS YOU HAVE DEVELOPED AND NAMED!

Glad to see guys getting on board!

Ben

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If my flies are judged worthy, I would LOVE to contribute!

One thought would be to have a format similar to the series done by Dick Stewart and Farrow Allen which included "Flies for Steelhead" and "Flies for Atlantic Salmon." There were four or five flies on a page with a single broadside photo of each against a neutral background, accompanied by a brief bit of text. I absolutely adore Shewey's book, but in several cases, the many colors and lines in the background obscure the details of the flies. I want to see the FLIES in all their glorious detail!!!

I second the motion to support a book with patterns that haven't already been published elsewhere multiple times. As someone else pointed out, there are already more than enough books out there where I can see a Lady C, Green Highlander, or Muddler. I probably wouldn't spend my money to see pictures of those or similarly well known and already widely exposed patterns. There are plenty of forgotten classics like the ones on the Feathers, Flies, and Phantoms site as well as new ones tied by the Speypages crew (and others) that would get me to open the checkbook.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
im so in

If you'll have me, I will contribute. I'd love to be part of something

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks for putting your hands up guys!

Kevin I was hoping you would jump in. I thought it would be based around steelhead.

Looking at some other books, it would be awesome to have 300 plus patterns. so if you are putting your hand up and wanting in on this I would like to get about 15 patterns from each of you.

Not sure just yet, but probably 12 would get published per angler, so it would be nice to have lots of patterns to choose from.

So in order to meet that goal of 300 plus we will need many of you to contribute! Don't be shy :chuckle:

Thanks all!

Ben

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
If the goal really is a set number per tier it would be very easy to give each tier two-three pages. One for recipes and a very short description of the tier and the rest for photos. Would this be a one photo per fly or a pallete format?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the goal really is a set number per tier it would be very easy to give each tier two-three pages. One for recipes and a very short description of the tier and the rest for photos. Would this be a one photo per fly or a pallete format?
Although that is very important stuff, I think we're to early along to know how it will all lay out. Ben and I are going to talk and we'll set up some structure to how things will move forward, and as the layout comes into focus we'll let everyone know so expectations can be met.

It's going to be a lot of fun that's for sure.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,705 Posts
Is this Private

or a Charitable Non Profit Venture

·
Registered
688 Posts
15 ties per is a lot of patterns from each person especially if you are looking for original work. I know some people think a colour change makes a fly theirs but in my book that doesn't wash. Regardless, I wouldn't be putting too many restrictions on this just yet, might be better to see how many tiers are in. If you find yourselves lacking tiers I'll help out, but I think there are many far more talented tiers out there. I don't know if you want to limit this to just people who contribute here or if you want to include some of the FB groups, as that would cover many of the best tiers in the world (at least those who are on-line) I know there were a couple of recent subscription books just recently done, one was totally sold out with a recent copy on Ebay asking £ 200. That one was a private sort of deal (ie proceeds not going to charity) top notch work both in terms of the printing job, presentation, photography etc and also in the ties themselves. That would be one to emulate. The other thing is limiting this just to steelhead flies. That would eliminate many top tier tiers (if they were to actually want to participate). Its a heck of a challenging idea guys and will be interesting to see how this evolves.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ralf, super glad you chimed in. I have seen some of your patterns and you are in! I don't know to many folks that can hook a fish from a wet towel, your flies work and work well!

Good call on the restrictions, and the comment about colour changes. I am working on a template now to throw on face book to really get the feelers out there.

It sounds like scott and I will spare head the protect. Once we have an idea of how many guys are in and submit there stuff we will have a much better idea of the scope of work that will need to be done to fill the pages.

I will be posting shortly what we will need from all those who want in. I will be talking with scott tonight and will hopefully have more details/ideas to post tomorrow...

I am getting excited!

Ben

1 - 20 of 45 Posts