Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always admired Dave McNeese and his contributions to tying, especially the original spey style flies he has produced over the years. He remains one of my "Top 10" tying heroes for PNW steelhead flies.

One thing that has been on my short list of "things I would indulge in if I had the coin" has been the hooks he designed (they ain't cheap!). I can cross that one off of my list now, at least in part, as I was lucky enough to find a seller on the 'bay who was parting with 35 of Mr. McNeese's beauties for a significant discount...

These are all size 2 so I might be looking to do a little trading but for now I am just gonna rest on my Laurel and Hardy's and bask in this small "score" :hihi:.

Steve Cole

Attachments

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Dave McNeese Hooks

Congratulations. I know of David's tying skill. Can you tell me what makes his hooks different from the Alec Jacksons?

thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Congratulations. I know of David's tying skill. Can you tell me what makes his hooks different from the Alec Jacksons?

thanks
Everything! Haha sorry, personally I think they have a much more graceful bend, the eye isn't as sharp of an angle, the temper is very different than an AJ and in my experience they hold fish better due to that, they don't bend as much, plus they are SHARP SHARP SHARP!!! The only Downside is they are really big, a size 1 is probably more like a 2/0+ and I guess that's not a negative for everyone... If you don't have experience with these buy some! I'd say at the regular price of around a dollar each it's a steal!

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
I'll add to the above :D

Dave's design has flow ..... you can tell this design came from an experienced flytyer . From the mini barb that can be easily flattened for a barbless option , to the tapered shank that helps with proper body proportions . Once you lay a base of tying thread over the return loop on the shank , it's a smooth transition . Not like that bulky problematic area associated with most other hook designs .
It is also fabricated in the Gamakatsu hook foundry . A highly technical facility that is noted for it's high standards of quality control . Then each batch is randomly checked by Dave himself to ensure his call outs are followed . Dave has found the perfect formula between steel and carbon for his hooks . I guess all those years of being the lead hook designer for Partridge of Redditch can really be appreciated by us :)

Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Difference...

Borrowing heavily from other descriptions: smaller eye with a long tapered return, eye is angled lower than AJs ("to prevent the fly from riding up on the swing"), the shank is a bit longer as is the point of the hook.

Steve Cole

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,404 Posts
I have been using them for the last year and love them as fishing hooks. As mentioned better lines than an AJ and wicked sharp. My only complaint is they don't come in smaller sizes. The 3 is the same as an AJ 1.5, the 2 similar to the AJ 3/0 and the 1 just too big for me. I would love it if he made them in sizes comparable to the AJ 3 and 5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts