Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put this in the category of "You know it's been too long since you've been steelheading when this happens."

I was in the checkout line at the local grocery store the other day, and having put my groceries on the conveyor belt, rested my left hand on it. My mind was wandering when suddenly, the belt lurched forward and for a split second, I was on the Deschutes with one of those aggressive summer steelhead takes. Everything in my body reacted to it, and my heart started racing a bit.

This had happened once before, about five years ago. Anyone else experience this or something like it?

Idahodryfly
Oh, debarb......great thought... and it's always been too long since I went steelheading. Heck, on my way home from a steelheading trip... I feel it's been too long!

I get the feeling like you...when every I scroll through review my fish pictures. I try to go back to that very moment that a steelhead grabbed....the zen moment, the feeling of anticipation, and that satisfaction of experiencing that "electric moment" all over again. I work my mind hard to remember every detail. The line angle, the fly's action, the spot. I emerge myself in that time...try to study the memories as deeply as possible. The weather, the river, the friends, the food, and the fight of the glorious fish.

Mental time travel keeps me sane.... kinda!

Registered
You are telling this to an Angler who regularly walks down the isles of the Supermarket when he's doing the shopping, stripping in his 30lb Amnesia backing, 5 pulls-catch a loop- 5 pulls another loop between the next two fingers- 5 pulls and another loop- 5 pulls then another loop, little wiggle on the "shot gun lift", lift and sweep, anchor the poly leader and tube, feel 17ft of Swedish Carbon load to the pull of 17m of fast sinking head, then line it all up and pull down and push out.It all even makes that lurvely zzzzzzz as the heads bangs to the reel.
Don't half get some funny looks mind!.
Yorkie.

18 foot spey rod DV8
Put this in the category of "You know it's been too long since you've been steelheading when this happens."

I was in the checkout line at the local grocery store the other day, and having put my groceries on the conveyor belt, rested my left hand on it. My mind was wandering when suddenly, the belt lurched forward and for a split second, I was on the Deschutes with one of those aggressive summer steelhead takes. Everything in my body reacted to it, and my heart started racing a bit.

This had happened once before, about five years ago. Anyone else experience this or something like it?
Well....I think we all need salmonoid counselling.

I鈥檒l confide to all you Speyers, to waking up in a sweat, having had a wet dream staring this erotic Blue Back.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim
Water Fisherman Salmon-like fish Sky Outdoor recreation

Registered
Its amazing how you can be waiting for one moment . It finally happens the wait could of been 10 minutes, a day, a week, a month, a winter , a year and god for bid two years. But upon releasing of the unicorn you gather in your thoughts taken in the moment . Then your mind instantly goes to , I can't wait for this to happen again. Cast swing step ,cast swing step, cast swing step.

Spey Is The Way
Good thing you weren't spey casting in front of the cashier. They might have called somebody to come get you.

Leo

Registered

Did you set the hook??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts