Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there were any hook makers here?
I've been forging my own blind eye hooks off and on for about a year now, but I seem to be having alot of trouble with the enamel painting process; what I've done in the past, upon drying from their Actone bath, and dunking the can of paint in hot water to thin it, to avoid clogging the barb or the gutter, I would then spray the hooks with one even coat of enamel and leave them to dry. The enamels I've been using are: Tremclad no-rust high gloss black enamel, other store brands of black enamels such as RONA and Canadian Tire Etc. but found that “Armor Coat” interior/exterior black gloss enamel to be the best of the bunch. When I place the hooks in the vice for tying the jaws either chip the enamel or most often leave an ugly impression in them. My problem lays in the heat hardening of the enamel. I have been placing them stuck in a pop can, standing up-right by their blind eyes in the oven and have tried; 300f for 1 hr., 300f for 2 hrs., and 400f for 1 hr. but the results are almost always the same. Could there be a problem in the heat source? I am using an electric stove, could their be a difference between electric produced heat and the natural fire heat of a gas stove?:confused: Any help would be great, Thanks.

Mitch

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
up to the top.

·
Banned and proud
845 Posts
Hey Mitch

How long are you leaving the hooks to dry before baking them? When I tried my hand at it a couple of years ago, I had the chipping going on because i was only leaving them to dry for 24 hours and had better results leaving them 2-3 days (partly might be because I live in Vancouver, wet climate). Other thing might be heat level. Eugene Sunday ( in tying the classic salmon fly) suggests an hour at 300 Farenheit but I had better results with my oven at 250, because the temp gauge on ovens is not always accurate. Other thing I do is use Auto paint from Cdn Tire..Hope that helps....

Jonathan

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Johathan,

I have left them for 24 hrs. As well I will try leaving them out for longer climate may be a factor, In Newfoundland we have it pretty wet too. Oops, made a mistake in my original post, I meant Fahrenheit not Celsius. I'll give the auto paint a try.

Mitch

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Darned interesting thread, but why (other than you can) make your own hooks? Ask as I saw an advertisement on one of the UK boards where some fellow was selling 'make your own hook' materials and I was shocked at what he was asking for them (and darned few in a package I might add!).
Fred

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good question Fred, Why make your own hooks? Well, I guess the reason why I make my own hooks is much like the reason I tie my own flys and wrap my own rods. I could go out and buy my own flys and factory built rods but a certain amount of pleasure is derived from these activities unique to our sport. Making hooks keeps me in touch with the art of the salmon and steelhead hook and why people so long ago first forged these unique black hooks for salmon fishing. It just seems to complete the sport, if you ask me, theirs nothing more rewarding then catching a fish on a rod you built, a fly you tied, on a hook you made.
Allows you to forge hook bends that are no longer available, as you mentioned they are much cheaper to make yourself then buy and they allow us time to stop and think, I've gained a much stronger appreciation for a salmon hook then I once had.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hi Mitch

Paul here from Nelson BC. I too am about to embark on making my own hooks....I am going to start out using the Mustad 3262 Aberdeen in 2/0 to 7/0 for display flies. I am very intrigued with making them. You are right it just rounds out the whole experience. I love to get down to the very foundation of fly fishing.

I read a very good article by Ronn Lucas on hook making, he refers to the methods used by Eugene Sunday, and some of the problems he has had, and some solutions. He posts a very informative read on

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Go to the tying Atlantics on the left menu, then scroll your way down to hooks,..there is a two part session on them along with his use of High Temp engine paint. He does alter the bake time as well. When clamping them into the jaws of his vise he uses cereal box paper to cushion the grip, to avoid chipping.

Sorry I couldn't get the exact link, it would not allow me to go directly to it for some reason.

Good luck...and let me know when you get some of those seals....OK

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hay Paul,, First of all, Where did you get the 3262's!!:confused: I would really like to get my hands on a bunch.

Thanks for the lead; I'll try to find it. And if I manage to get a white coat it'll go straight to Nelson BC.

Mitch

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Good answer Mitch!:smokin: That WOULD be a hoot to catch on a rod you built, with fly you tied, on a hook you made.:D

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
And if...

Mitch worked for 3M, on a line he made also:rolleyes:

M

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the links Gunner. That's right;)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hook material

Hi Mitch.

Sent you a PM on some sources for 3262's that can be reworked to nice blind eye Salmon Irons.

Also discovered you can use heavy to light solid piano wire, apparently the blue chip steel of the world. Finest made steel wire with the highest tolerances of anything readily available.

Here is a shot of one hook I reworked just monkeying about with no special tools, just a torch, pliers and fingers for bending and shaping. First one...so things are bound to get better

It was an Eagle claw 1197 heavy wire limerick bend down eye before the torch hit it.....

Gotta get better on the shaping of the blind eye..its hard turning it on the grinding wheel with such a short shank. But I have decided to notch a set of hemostats so I can rotate the hook freely on the grinding wheel without taking off my fingers. Spin the hook in the hemostats, with the hemostats acting like a bearing while I spin the hook bend with my fingers.

Attachments

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Great thread boys,, most interesting!! Off to the piano store;)
Sc

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Nice hook Paul. Here are a couple of bends I forged from a 3/0 Mustad nymph hook, not sure of the model #:confused:

I found it easy to hold the hook and taper it with a small grinding head on my Dremel. Didn't bother painting the tip.

Yeah, I herd about the piano wire. I'll have to take a trip to the music shop to see if I could find some.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hi Mitch.

Those are beauties!!!! Can you loacte which hook you used to do the rework? If so please let me know.They have nice long points and barb shape to rework. Did you paint those ones....they look pretty darn nice to me.

Paul

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Paul,

Yeah, I painted those but couldn't quite get a hard enough finish on them.
The hooks were given to me as a sample; I'll give the guy a call and find out the model #. I think I'll buy a bunch if he has them.

Those are alright fishing hooks. I need to find a couple of jewelers files for nice barb work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts