Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to tube flies and after much searching finally have some brass and plastic tubing.

Question. How tightly should the hook eye fit into the junction tubing? I've got some 5/32 brass tubing with a junction tube that loosely fits a size 4 octopus hook. I think under some spey casting the hook might move around or fall out of the tube. I can't go any smaller on the junction tube or else it won't fit the brass tubing.

Should I be concerned? I was thinking about trying some shrink tubing as a junction as that would narrow down the diameter and potentially more securely fit the hook eye.

Thoughts?
Preston

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The force of the spey cast should actually sink the hook home further into the junction tube as the force of the cast pulls on the hook and not the fly body. What I use exclusively now is I V tubing that the hospitals use for intervenous fluids. Most IV outfits come with two sizes of tubing...I like the smallest diameter one as it has very thin side walls that don't leave a large bump on the fly body tube, they also hold a hook nicely as they are very flexible.

If you don't have a connection in the medical profession I would just explain to an emerg ward clerk or paramedic what I am doing and I am sure you can get all you want from them, as it is simply thrown out. I prefer asking for saline solution IV tubing, that way I am sure I am not fooling around with any drugs.....dont want to see a lot of stoned fish out there....grin grin :hihi:

My thoughts
Jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.