Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been practicing on some not so perfect modern hooks but now im ready to switch up my hooks to something with more traditional bend. Ones I like are Partridge Willson but they are light wire so it no-go. I don't like Harrison bartleet on these patterns either. All exhibition hooks sell for $12-18 and thats not something im willing to fish with... I got stocked up with all the materials and good natural crow and coutan substitutes just need some apropriate hooks now. Blind or loop eye, doesn't matter much to me anymore.

Please share what you recommend.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
it will depend on the style of wing. aj and bh make decent married and built wings( there some messing around with proportion needed moatly with tails) i like any tmc salmon.hook and right now the new mustad salmon.irons are good. if it going in glass then antique, gealic supreme( are ok), and all the hand made hooks. id stay far away from pratridge barleet as there total.outer **** when it comes to proportions

·
Registered
96 Posts
domantas, It's an interesting dilemma. Most of the hooks I fish aren’t well suited for traditional salmon flies. The AJ’s and BH have too much arch in them (don’t like them for speys either). You can tie a decent looking fly if you start the tip forward of the hook point to compensate for the arch. So my question is what size are looking to tie on? I would probably buy some vintage mustad limerick or sproat bend hooks and do some slight reworking. Blind the eye and refinish in black.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Limerick bend, blind-eye, Gaelic Supreme (Francis-Francis) 1/0 to 6/0

Limerick bend, blind-eye, CS6 (Adlington & Hutchinson) 2/0 to 8/0

have a look @:

'Hooks for the Fly' by W E Schmidt (Stackpole books) c2000

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have "Hooks for the Fly" too. Wishing it was updated as some of the newer hooks aren't there, but it should give you a decent idea about shapes. It pre-dates the new Mustad's Kevin mentioned (SL73ULBN-36890). I'm really not a Mustad fan (anymore), but for fishing that hook seems fine. The TMC salmon hooks are very nice as well.

The new hook seems superior to the old 36890, though it is roughly the same shape. It is much sharper and they must use a different wire as that is one hook where I've been able to heat the eye and straighten it to produce a longer shank for tying Dee flies. (Tried that with various older hooks and I just kept breaking the eye.)

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone has CS6 5/0 picture to share? I have 3/0 and I like it on Ranger flies but I think its too short for Highlander or Jock Scott. Maybe 5/0 is better suited?

Gaelic Supreme Francis Francis is another hook im strongly considering I just cand find any reference pictures of how it looks tied on or its sizing. Anyone?

I started to consider Gaelic Supreme Harrison Bartleet as well.

I do not want to go making custom hooks as at this point its just too much to handle... coming back home with some red bishop in color males that I had to use engine starter fluid to put them down and pluck them damn feathers, lol... When it almost seems my search is over there are the hooks... rough times we live in...

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Cs6

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
gealic

It seems any of the Harrison Bartleet bends from Gaelic or Partridge have lumpy saddles between barb and point, not to mention the wavy barbs. Go with the gealic Francis Francis 3/0 from Dette and you wont be disappointed. If they are fishing flies only than it doesn't matter which hook it is, as long as the barb isn't all uppity....:hihi:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts