Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, hope people dont mind rookie questions. i bought 2 sink tip lines. they have a 32'tapered sinking head and an intermediate running line. what i want to do is cut them up and make various sink tips. the head is 475 grains, so being that it is not density compensated, i know how to figure the grain/ft. i plan to leave about 15' attached to running line and use that for my 7wt one hander. i want to put a whipped loop on each end of the tip. my question is, can i attach these tips to the front of my rio windcutter spey line, or will this affect the castibility of the line? any tips on making sink tips would be appreciated. also, to you great lakes steelheaders. do any of you use sinking lines with your spey rod for dead drifting nymphs/eggs etc. when water temps are below 40 degrees? if so, can you give me some tips on that and how to rig that way? thanks, mark

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
475/32 = 14.8 grains/ft.

A 12 wt. line is 12.7 grains/ft.

Unless your windcutter is thicker than 12 wt line at the point of attachment - which I doubt - then it might not turn over very well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts