Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mending Mending
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever made floatant using ground up silica beads?? At work I have an endless supply of them and wondering if it would do the trick or not. The beads I have are DMF free.

Just want to know if anybody has experience doing this before I try it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
DMF?
If it's to be a dessicant to replace the material you shake your fly in to dry it off, I don't see why not. I don't think it will help float your fly though like 'top ride'.

·
Mending Mending
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DMF was a chemical they use to put in it that made it very toxic.

And I just wanted it to use it to dry flies then shake em in the top ride so they ride even longer. Hmm wonder if I could mix it 80% Top Ride then 20% silica.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think Top Ride consists of equal portions of fumed silica powder (used as a floatant) and silica gel dissiccant (used to absorb water). Combined they should dry your fly out and help it float.

MB

·
Registered
41 Posts
I though about making my own Then I came across Scotch Guard Outdoor fabric spray. When I finish tying I scotch guard it, dry overnight. A $8 can will last you years.

·
Dom
3,115 Posts
I know this might be a bit off topic but I am sold on LOON Outdoors product. Not sure how its called but its a product that you apply on freshly tied flies ant it stays permanent. One treatment and you are set!

·
Registered
872 Posts
homemade fly dope

I have silica beads as a dessicant that I purchased on the 'net for drying flowers. I also purchase some hydrophobic fumed silica - and it HAS to be hydrophobic or it won't work. Its treated with siloxane or silane - from what I undertstand are silicone based products. See the link below where I purchased. One bag will last a lifetime. DO NOT BREATHE - particles become airborne instantly and are NO FREAKIN GOOD for your lungs.

Mix the powder and the beads in a plastic cannister and whoopie - you have dry fly floatant/dessicant...

FUMED SILICA - epoxy thickener and fly fishing aid

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
433 Posts
Hi guys
Fumed silica. Sounds good to me.
I now use Loon hydrostop on all my dry flies when I tie them except for CDC flies, on them I use Loon Lochsa. WHEN I TIE THEM. Both are excellent. I recommend both. After casting my treated flies and catching fish my fly still seems to get kinda water logged, but it does take a few fish to do this. At this point I wash the fly well to get fish slime off it and then dry it and treat it in a desicant. Probably what DrBob is talking about. I believe it is also a Loon product. My flies again float like new or better.
BJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts