Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a skagit set up, how many loops do you hold and how many pulls do you put in each loop?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I was kind of watching to see if someone who actually knows what they are doing would comment. Since no one else has, I'll tell you what I sometimes manage to pull off with no tangles:
Typically I like to let the first several pulls lay in the water, roughly letting the loop hand out to about the end of my rod. If the water is slow I can leave more on the water, if it's really fast or broken up with lots of rocks or eddies (or willows) I sometimes need to leave a little less hanging.

After that I usually do loops of anywhere between 3-6 pulls typically, 4 and 5 pulls seem to give me the least grief. Too long and they seem more prone to twist around in the current and tangle, too short and they also seem to tangle easily. I prefer to not hold more than 2 loops now, although I'll do 3 from time to time. That's usually when I start running into troubles though.

If I am really trying to shoot a lot of line, say more than about a dozen pulls or so, and/or when dealing with more current issues where I am casting from, I will usually double the loops: strip all the line in, then make one pull of both lines together to form a small loop, then 3-4 more pulls to make a "middle loop" and let the rest dangle. Usually works pretty well, though I've had tangle issues with every method at some point or another.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I split the number of pulls I make in half and hold my running line there forming just one loop (or maybe that's two). This makes things simple and works well for me anywhere from six to twelve strips, the distance I most often fish at. Less loops makes for less tangling in my experience, although eventually one loop becomes too long and holding additional loops is more effective.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
When first loop is largest and next ones are done gradually smaller the tangling lessens a lot. I coil line to bottom hand fingers and for a long cast I do nine strip loop to pinkie, seven to ring finger, five to middle, three to forefinger and the rest hangs between bottom handle and top hand middle finger which I use to hold line against the cork.Then when smaller loops run out first it usually cannot grab longer loops if there is some current to cause slight tension to line.

When I used coated shooting line I did not drop line, just turned palm rod vise and spread fingers and line run free but now I use thin Nylon SL and it makes skin sore after a while so I drop SL.

Esa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts