Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just read where a local fishing guide is developing his own "flyweight double hander" . Sounds like he is developing this specifically for dollies. Now normally I would roll my eyes and move on but this guy is a legend with a capital L. By his own account, he is responsible for unbelievable inovation in the sport. So if this guy puts his head to it, the resulting rod will certainly be next year's must have product.

What makes this more amazing is his past well known distaste for the long rods. And now he is designing them!

:rolleyes:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
'Tip,

Perhaps he can introduce it to the students in one of his "famous" steelhead classes. But then since it will be a "flyweight 2-handers (whatever that might mean), I suppose he will have to start up classes in fly fishing for dollies.

My, my, this legend sure have plenty of innovations. I wonder if he will use the rod with his famous CC fly.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dear friend Sparkster,

First, since you personally know the moderators here and have broken bread and shared wine with them, you should well know that non-confrontational and PC are our middle names. (Ok, maybe it was burgers and beer but you get the idea.) Kinder and gentler are not just words to us but a way of life. I was simply trying to pass on a report I stumbled across. I thought that the readers here, not to mention Meiz, Loomis, T&T, CND, SAGE and all the other manufacturers that currently market trout speys, would want to know that a fantastic innovation was in the works. Come on, this could be bigger than Hoodsport! Please believe me that I only wanted to share this newfound knowledge. After all, what good is treasure if you don't share it? :D

FT,

I'm sure that the marketing of a double-handed dollie class is right around the corner. As for the CC, nope I don't think so. Such a pattern would be too deadly on the local char. I think the guides famous glue eggs are what this rod is designed for. What I'm really curious about is will the new "fly-weight" handle that great big red "bobber" Sean and I saw this past March?

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
190 Posts
you know....

I really hate misssing out on jokes like this.... not being the local, I have obviously been deprived of much riverside entertainment.... :eek: :Eyecrazy: Sounds like a real winner he's got there... Next think you know, he'll be introducing "large arbor reels"... imagine that innovation....... :razz:
so what exactly is "fly weight"?? as opposed to......lead weight??? :rolleyes: :p

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
'Tip,

Thanks for reminding about his glue egg flies (which of course he originated too) because I had forgotten about them. Although I do wonder if those plastic bead egg flies some of the Alaskan guides and lodges use might not be a better choice.

Bobber!! That ain't no stinkin' bobber! It is a strike indicator don't you know. How else are you s'posed to know if your glue egg fly has found a fish?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on the size of the "strike indicators", I think maybe the Dolly Parton is more appropriate :chuckle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.