Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm thinking about heading out to the Olympic Peninsula the week of March 11-15 to chase some fresh natives. This being my first steelhead trip to OP I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on where to stay, guides to hire, public access spots, etc.

I called the Three Rivers Guide and Resort in Forks. They have reasonably priced cabins, but the owner indicated that most of their guides and clientele are oriented toward hardware. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but i was hoping to find someone who might know what a spey rod is for.:chuckle:

Any advice?

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Spey guides

Forks is just about the only place to stay on the OP.

Call Bob Pigott (360) 327-3554,
Dave Steinbaugh (360) 417-0937, or
J. D. Love (360) 327 3772.
These guys are flyfishing guides that live on the OP and know what a Spey rod is.

Here are some other numbers to call:
Brightwater House B&B (forks) (360)374- 5453
Huckleberry Lodge (Forks) (360) 374-6008
Miller Tree Inn (forks) (360) 374-6806

I fished with Bob Pigott several years ago. He Introduced me to the Spey rod. Have fun. And let us know how you did.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, another alternative to the HOH..

Would be the Upper Rogue. Some of us can even spell "Spey Rod" down here. And the drive would be a couple of hours vs. blowing a full day .... both ways. And if you held off a week you could also join the Spey Clinic.:devil:

Fred

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
I may be out there that week as during March and early to mid April, I try to make as many trips out there as possible i.e. once a week. :devil:

We could hook up for a float if you would like...stay in touch! :)

·
JD
3,609 Posts
guides

If you are going to hire a gude to FLYFISH the OP (or anywhere else for that matter) it is imperative you get a flyfishing guide. There is a big difference between good fly water and good gear or bait water. The flyfishing guide will put you onto good flywater. The other guys are, shall we say, clueless as to the differences. :eyecrazy:

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
We have stayed at the Brightwater House and recommend it highly.

Another guide to put on your list is Troy Dettman at Northwest Angler in Poulsbo. Phone: 360-697-7100.

Rich

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oly Penninsula

I would also highly recommend the Brightwater house and both Dave Steinbaugh and JD Love. If you fish with JD you can stay at a place called the Bear Creek Motel which is very reasonably priced and has a resturant with decent food/beer. Both JD and Dave are excellent spey casters and are fun to fish with, have fun!

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Bear Creek Motel & Restaurant

We parked our rig at the Bear Creek campground and had a few meals at the restaurant. Run by good honest down to earth people that will treat you right and the cookin' ain't bad either.

Most of the guides and places mentioned here used to advertise in Wild Steelhead and Salmon magazine. Since it became Fish and Fly. however, they seem to have lost that segment of their advertising base, and quite possibly their reader base as well. Sure do miss that mag.

JD

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You All!

I sincerely appreciate all the excellent suggestions re Forks. I even called the Brightwater and discovered that they have a new guest house and that it was available. Alas, my employer has other plans for me next week. I shall however get out there this month or next. I've simply heard too many stories about 20 lb. fish and breathtaking scenery this time of year.

I did manage to get out and fish the Mad River (Arcata, CA) this weekend. The weather couldn't have been more perfect and the fishing was tremendous. Unfortunately the catching was not. :chuckle: But that's ok. I got a LOT of casting practice and my Jack Russells got to run up and down the gravel bar for two days barking at ducks, quail, otters and, well....just about anything...

I sure wish my Burkheimer 9143-3 would arrive. Lifting a Type V tip with a Sage 7136-4 gets to be a chore after awhile (that's another reason I'm not too disappointed about next week - I really want that Burky before I head for the OP). Within the next two weeks I'm told...

Again, thanks much, gents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts