Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to you all
I tied some streamers last year in this style (baitfish profile) and was very impressed with the "snakey jointed rapala style motion " ..figure I needed to try some in steelhead size/colorways

Hope you like and thanks for looking...:)

Disclaimer...Lots of photos

David

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NExt Steps

TWo differnt type bodies on front shank

Body HAckle of rhea (counter wrapped ) or bady hackle of cock with a rhea collar

MArabou and guinea finish all flies

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Looking good! I Could see those coming alive in the current and turbulence...lifelike! Thanks for the SBS.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I fished a giant pattern like this on the NU and have it at my desk. I have a few shanks together to do this just haven't done it yet. thanks for the inspiration, they look amazing for when the rogue finally comes into shape.

great looking stuff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice work as usual David, always a pleasure. What is the char/black tipped hackle in the first pic, a laced hen?
Thanks,
Kevin

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
david,

Really cool work on those love the pics as well.

Question with the marabou how do you put that on? Dubbing loop or do you put on like hackle?

Sometimes when using marabou it binds up and produces to bulky of a section.

KC

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Endless possibilities for color combos.

I've been meaning to tie some of your shank-flies, even got a spool of fireline and dug up some old mustard shanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks kids

For the comments etc..

Kevin..nice to see cyber c u..are u still in ak?
Would love to see what ur vise is offering :)
Yes a laced hen feather

Borderfly..i love marabou after figuring out how to avoid the collapse and clump..
With these patterns the support is either the extra turns of cock or rhea ahead of the dumbells ..i like to tie in at base of feather to take advantage of the taper as i fold it andcturn it forward..

The body of stiff cock hackle or the rhea thru out the fly keeps the marabou honest and swimming

Heres a pic of a nice prop

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Man - those are awesome! I know you're tying for trout/steelhead but there are some places where I swing flies in real current close to shore around Cape Cod that flies like those would get absolutely crushed by stripers! Nice work - thanks for sharing!!!!!

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Those look killer!

T

·
0 Posts
double

do you need a big rig combo license to drive one? jeez, those will swim around a bit

1 - 19 of 19 Posts