Spey Pages banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I originally posted this under a title of "Hardy Perfect 3-1/2" but realized that the title was probably not appropriate, since I received multiple messages from members clearly looking for a reel for actual fishing. I consider this as a special piece that belongs to a nice display case. So, I'm re-posting it under a more suitable title.

I have really enjoyed this piece of fly fishing history for years, but am willing to let go, because my primary focus is shifting to music. You see, I want to grab another 1960 or 1961 Fender Jazz Bass if I get a chance.

It's a wide-drum vintage made in 1915, according to a private museum that used to own this, and has a very rare check, sort of a lighter version of 1912 check. I bought it as an enjoyable investment years ago. It came from the Granville Island Sport Fishing Museum. I just listed it on eBay. It should show up if you search by "museum piece hardy perfect". I'm not desperate to sell it, but if anyone here wants it and trust me enough to pay via wire transfer to my bank in Japan, I would be happy to give a 20% discount - I'm unhappy with eBay and PayPal now. You see the reason in my recent post in the General threads.

Please look for this on eBay by searching for "museum piece hardy perfect". There are 12 photos of this history piece. The price is constrained by the Japanese financial regulations via PayPal, and can change depending on the exchange rate between the USD and JPY. If the exchange rate moves more than 5%, I will adjust the price in USD.

If you desire more photos, please send me a message.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’m interested in the reel. Can you post pictures here on Spey Pages with a copy of a recent newspaper showing the date? Sometimes when you see a request to send money internationally with a wire transfer it’s a tip off that it’s a scam. If you post a picture I will be able to tell it is real and not a scam

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Shawn,

First off I’m not your mate. Second off the reel is on EBay right now for 8,900 USD plus $200 for shipping. If the big discount for an international wire transfer doesn’t sound a little fishy maybe you buy the reel and see how it goes. If this is legit the seller a) has best be able to show it is in his or her possession now b) be willing to negotiate in price (a lot) and c) take PayPal. This ain’t your run of the mill internet purchase.

And by the way what does 16 years have to do with anything?

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I bought a reel from fishordie and did the wire transaction without any problems. He is a stand up guy, I would do another transaction with him.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The gentleman has been a member of Spey Pages for 16 yrs.
I think thats what somone was trying to point out that signing up 16 yrs ago just to pull a fast one now and ruin your reputation is
Unlikely.

No horse in this race just trying to crarify
As I read the post

If I’m ever questioning somthing being sold
Sometimes I read old posts from the member to get a vibe of the character.

Also totally understandable to carry out your own due diligence when purchasing a high value item.

Anyone who has dug deep online for “hardy salmon 31/2” “knows this reel. The images from the museum are still
Accessible online last I looked.

Best of luck to both seller and buyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ok I get it now thanks for the clarification.

Would have been a lot better for everybody for Shawn to simply state the facts without the wise guy routine.

16 years with 75 posts on Spey Pages means something but remember a fool and his money are easily parted.

Thanks to those who responded I’ll take it offline from here since the OP seems to be MIA from the thread.

John

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
wow. it seems the foreigner has ruined yet another party.
I would like to sincerely apologise to everyone here who was hoping to see yesterday's japanese newspaper.

gomen-ne,
shawn

·
Registered
290 Posts
wow. it seems the foreigner has ruined yet another party.
I would like to sincerely apologise to everyone here who was hoping to see yesterday's japanese newspaper.

gomen-ne,
shawn
Shawn,
Don’t consider yourself special. Spey Pages was founded in Canada, despite living there 3 years that makes me a foreigner too.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry you all!!! I hadn't realized that there were this many responses to the post. I get an alert only when someone sends me a message. I just checked in to edit this and found out. I haven't read all the posts, just skimmed through some of them. Well, OK, I will tell you who I am, Moto Nakamura. Call Kerry Burkheimer and ask him about me. I've known him since 2008. You can go to LinkedIn and look for me. He asked me to open an account there years ago. I'm not really active, but occasionally check in.

BTW, SpringCreek gave me a very interesting hypothesis on the original owner and origin of the engravings. Coco Chanel. I researched and found the idea almost convincing. It's now written on the eBay description.

I'm sorry about the price increase in USD, but I can't do anything about what your central bank says/does. I wish they had kept the exchange rates fixed...

·
flytie09
467 Posts
I’m sorry...I tried to keep quiet.... but couldn’t. If you’re going to ask absolute top dollar for a reel.... you have to have definitive proof of the vintage and history of it. A loose tie in to the engraving in no way justifies the $9000 cost. Prove it! Any hack could have engraved that crown. And how does Coco Chanel have anything to do with asking 15x the normal price for a comparable reel.

There are enough Hardy experts out there that you can get an educated estimate of the vintage and price of the reel. You’re being far too speculative. And I take personal offense because I collect vintage reels. Falsely driving up the cost of the Hardy reel market as a whole from fuzzy knowledge on one reel is just plain wrong in my estimation.

Anyone that pays $9k on eBay for this reel is crazy. The seller bought it on ebay and the purchase price can be researched on Look it up.

I’m sorry if it came to this. If I’m mistaken.... directing members to eBay listings on this site is prohibited. And really should in this case.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.