Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a highland gem inspired by timo's one which i really liked! Tied in the midst of this semester exams for aero engineering to relieve stress haha. All in hand, legitimate tinsels and silks, spanish gut, all gossamer etc. i would fish it but my grandparents needed a gift and mentioned wanting one of my flies. On silk bodies i always manage to get the light colors abit dirty from tying in hand. I wanted thin LA strips but couldve used abit more fibers in there i think. Its on a 3/0 but is much bigger i think.

Great tying around here! Comments and critiques are welcome :)

Andrew

Attachments

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Not bad at all Andrew. I like the wing the width it is because I view this fly a cross between a dee fly and a simple featherwing classic that has body veilings. As such, in my mind, it looks best when tied with a nice, mid-width wing, not a higher one because the mid-width wing produces a very sleek look very much in the fashion of a dee fly.

I'd make the rear body a bit shorter, about 2/5th body length. Doing so would result in a fly that looks like both body sections are the same size. This to compensate for the throat, wing, and topping being tied on the front of the fly making it look like the front body is shorter than it actually is. As it is tied herein, the rear body looks a bit longer than the front body.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not bad at all Andrew. I like the wing the width it is because I view this fly a cross between a dee fly and a simple featherwing classic that has body veilings. As such, in my mind, it looks best when tied with a nice, mid-width wing, not a higher one because the mid-width wing produces a very sleek look very much in the fashion of a dee fly.

I'd make the rear body a bit shorter, about 2/5th body length. Doing so would result in a fly that looks like both body sections are the same size. This to compensate for the throat, wing, and topping being tied on the front of the fly making it look like the front body is shorter than it actually is. As it is tied herein, the rear body looks a bit longer than the front body.
Thank you!

Yes i always contemplate about the body sections. Try to do it exatly half or shorten the back to make up for the illusion that the front is shorter? I usually try so somewhere in between and see what happens :p

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Russ has given some great advice once again , a learning session for us all ... thanks again Russ !!

Andrew , I've always liked this pattern but have never tied it , maybe over the holidays I'll give it a go ...
Very neat tying , I like the wing setting as is , it would give a nice profile on the swing :)

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts