Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking outside now it is still snowing and i cannot remember the last time the temperature had a positive reading, good time to stock boxes! Of course all this will come to an end once water exists in liquid form.

Highland Gem

Black Dogs

Various Smaller things

Reduced Canadian Black Dose var (i quite like tying and fishing this)

Light Waverly

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Fantastic work. Very clean. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Okay Mike. Let's see some big uns! You said it yourself and it is time! Anyone else agree that they want to see Jam starting wrapping some full dress?!?

Not many guys in the world that can tie speys and Dees like you my friend. Stunning work! Oh and I love the big woodie on the dogs!

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,844 Posts
Picture Perfect

Lovely work there

·
Undertaker
1,367 Posts
Stark contrast photos

OK, I have to comment on your photos. The white background and saturated color really make your exquisitely tied flies pop. Very professional job all round.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Much thanks! With the pics i usually edit a bit (crop, exposure, contrast) on the ipad with a free program photoshop express.

Aaron, Grass!? I think i remember it, green in colour? Out West sure does look nice at the moment. Was in Africa a while back which was a salubrious break from the snow.

Josh, i know...people keep bugging me to tie something ridiculous like a Napoleon for display, slowly getting there but i do have problems finding goose that fits a large size hook, usually the 3 blue heron is the absolute limit. I think i heard Aaron might ship goose to Here. So probably save up some money for a decent haul of goose (thinking goose falls into domestic animal) and a hook or two suitable for tying a fly that requires patience and penchant for detail. Might wait for cad to bounce back a bit as it is suffering just now. Expect questions Josh! Like what is a good hook?

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Man your stuff is just so clean, smooth and the best word to describe would be perfect.

I strive to put out stuff that comes close to your flees!

It's a pleasure to open your threads, thanks for sharing!

KC

·
Registered
294 Posts
Such fine flies, I am particularly in love with your highland gem and the black dogs! ;-)

PS. If Aaron can ship feathers all the way to me in Denmark (although customs can be a bit slow), I think you can easily source your goose from him, and it's definitley worth the extra effort ;-)

Søren

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Those are some beautiful, sleek ties!! They just jump off the screen.

I have to ask, how do you get such great clean photos of your flies?? Of course you have them laying flat on a light background, but are you using natural light?? Or, are you using soft boxes, reflectors, etc?? Shadows are very soft/non-existent and the subjects really pop.

I'm finally getting a "real" camera, an older, outdated Nikon D200. It will be the first time using an SLR since moving over from ahmmmm, film. (showing my age??)

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those are some beautiful, sleek ties!! They just jump off the screen.

I have to ask, how do you get such great clean photos of your flies?? Of course you have them laying flat on a light background, but are you using natural light?? Or, are you using soft boxes, reflectors, etc?? Shadows are very soft/non-existent and the subjects really pop.

I'm finally getting a "real" camera, an older, outdated Nikon D200. It will be the first time using an SLR since moving over from ahmmmm, film. (showing my age??)

Thanks,
Todd
Hi Todd, haha showing your age with good old analog equipment, kudos! I am just a young one...but i appreciate these things for example i only buy music on vinyl, just could not change plus it sounds nicer to my ears.

Speaking of which that is what my background is, usually a nice fresh white 12" single sleeve sitting in a 9ft high North facing window (loads of natural indirect light), shadows if present i can rotate the cardboard to try and eliminate, then when editing i can push the exposure up a bit which also helps. Try to keep very still while taking your exposure or use a small tripod like a gorilla pod.

Anyway when you get that sweet camera, play around with a good light source, exposure, contrast, f stop, macro settings, etc. i am no expert and just use a point and shoot or ipad. I bet you will get spectacular results with a dslr!

Mike

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hi Todd, haha showing your age with good old analog equipment, kudos! I am just a young one...but i appreciate these things for example i only buy music on vinyl, just could not change plus it sounds nicer to my ears.

Speaking of which that is what my background is, usually a nice fresh white 12" single sleeve sitting in a 9ft high North facing window (loads of natural indirect light), shadows if present i can rotate the cardboard to try and eliminate, then when editing i can push the exposure up a bit which also helps. Try to keep very still while taking your exposure or use a small tripod like a gorilla pod.

Anyway when you get that sweet camera, play around with a good light source, exposure, contrast, f stop, macro settings, etc. i am no expert and just use a point and shoot or ipad. I bet you will get spectacular results with a dslr!

Mike
Thanks for the photo tips Mike!! Just got that DSLR in my hands, thanks to James Reid for providing me with a wonderful opportunity to own upgraded photo equipment so that I might more easily be able to capture what my mind's eye is seeing.

Can't wait to get out and take some better fishing photos! Look for them in my blog in the not too distant future.

Todd

1 - 20 of 28 Posts