Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had high water here on the Salmon River for most of the month of November making it hard to find a spot to get a slow swing.
Sky Cloud Water Plant Natural landscape

But if you don't go you won't catch a fish. So I put on a 8 foot tip of T-11 and a big 4" Lady Gaga cut-shank and gave it another try. After 5 hours of standing in 41-degree water I was rewarded with a savage grab just before I was going to quit for the day. Several high speed runs almost put a birdsnest in my Hardy Perfect. But the #2 Octopus stinger hook held and I was able to slide this 29" female up on a shallow gravel bar.
Water Underwater Organism Fish Marine biology

Arm Natural material Human body Purple Feather

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
724 Posts
We have had high water here on the Salmon River for most of the month of November making it hard to find a spot to get a slow swing.
View attachment 388871
But if you don't go you won't catch a fish. So I put on a 8 foot tip of T-11 and a big 4" Lady Gaga cut-shank and gave it another try. After 5 hours of standing in 41-degree water I was rewarded with a savage grab just before I was going to quit for the day. Several high speed runs almost put a birdsnest in my Hardy Perfect. But the #2 Octopus stinger hook held and I was able to slide this 29" female up on a shallow gravel bar. View attachment 388872
View attachment 388873
Congrats.....Very well played. That’s a beautiful Steelie and I’m sure the perseverance involved in late fall and winter steelhead spey fishing was worth the effort. These fish are all memorable catches.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well done Paul :)
That's a great fish, chunky-monkey!!
You must be rigging your shanks riverside with the "pass through" method, yes?

Mike
Thanks Mike! Yes I rig my cut-shanks "Ed Ward " style with the hook attached riverside. It takes a few minutes to change flies but usually I just put a fly on at home and leave it on all day unless I get to the river and see that conditions have changed and my selection is inappropriate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 388871
But if you don't go you won't catch a fish. So I put on a 8 foot tip of T-11 and a big 4" Lady Gaga cut-shank and gave it another try. After 5 hours of standing in 41-degree water I was rewarded with a savage grab just before I was going to quit for the day. Several high speed runs almost put a birdsnest in my Hardy Perfect. But the #2 Octopus stinger hook held and I was able to slide this 29" female up on a shallow gravel bar. View attachment 388872
View attachment 388873
Nice WORK, Good-Sir! Yeah Man, sounds like you deserved THAT fish. Right on............ Great looking fly too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts