Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a wonderful time with our very own James Reid last weekend. As many know, James builds some of the nicest cane steelhead rods on the planet and it was great to get out with him. Adrian Cortes also joined us on sunday.

Unfortunately, ideal steelheading conditions were not part of the equation. High water was the rule, but we got out anyway, in conditions that might have normally kept me home otherwise. I was reminded that even in high flows, fishable water can be found if one knows where to look - often they are nearshore cushions and pockets. It was a great time of testing our ability to adapt to difficult conditions.

Posted the story on my blog:

http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/2015/02/high-water-cane-clave.html

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good stuff. Looks like warm summer day in comparison to our high yesterday of -2.
Yeah, I hear you on that! It doesn't look like it's warming up until around May or so!!

Great times with great friends. Nothing better!!

Thanks for a good read, my friend!

-Bill

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
nice story

I hope the three of you had a flask or two among you - helps to keep the spirits up. It would have been epic had James risen that fish on a skater.

BTW - if you think an 8.5 ft. rod is fun to fish for steelies, you might look up some of Lee Wulff's antics back in the 50s. He often fished a 6 foot bamboo rod for Atlantics. I'd bet that James could make a nice one piece steelhead midge that would harken back to ol' Lee. Of course, it was a different world back then, with a lot more fish and fewer people in our rivers. Yes, bad weather can be the best fishing - simply because others decide to stay home.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
!

Thanks for your comments and compliment guys.

Josh: glad that you frequent my blog, the journaling of a crazy steelheader!

Mike: Thanks, I'll be getting your beatiful Hopes out as the water continues to drop.

SLSS/Bill:
Hope things warm up for you guys out there! We have had mild conditions out here. It was sunny and warm out on the river yesterday, water temps 50 degrees - I fished a skater in the afternoon and rolled a fish!!

Steelhead 23:
Yes would have been cool if James raised that steelhead. the water was 52 degrees! I bet James could make a Wulff Midge rod if he wanted to, the guy is amazing. My 8'5" Wee Heavy is just perfect for my coastal steelheading.

Matt:
Thanks, we have to fish together again so you can get your coffee cup back

·
Administrator
19,071 Posts
I'm glad to hear your intentions Todd :)
I guess I never sent you my variation of Bill's Paint Brush :eek:
I tied the variation for high dirty water .... darn !!

Mike

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike:
Your flies are such beauties, I tend to reserve them for special occasions!! Were coming into some lower water so those luscious winter's hopes you sent me will be getting out. I'll also skate those white muddlers as well, i'm encouraged after raising that fish yesterday!

Todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts