Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to this cool board.
I may be a newbie on this board because it's a recent dicovery, but I am not a newbie to steel. I hooked my first steel in '77 and I've been at it since.

You may ask yourself, what is a vodoofly? Hey it's me and you! I tie my patterns listening to Jimi and Deep Purple. Therefore, I have a connection to my brothers in WA and England. Just now I've finished tying some leech type paterns listening to "little wing" and countless others to "machine head". You can guess that I like to use black and purple in my patterns! Anyways, good to know my fellow steelheaders. Please don't dis me because I'm Great Lakes. I am hard core! I was out last Friday and it was like dipping candles out there. You hardcores know what I mean. Every cast adding another layer of ice. It's a beech fly fishing when everything ices up in -5 below wind chill. In no time it was like casting a 400 grain sinker using a float line. Anyways, just wanted to say hi and thank the Great River spirit.

vodoofly

·
Registered
459 Posts
Voodoofly,

Welcome lots of hard core GLs and PNW steelheaders here. Yes I know about the cold GLs steelheading. Was out my self a week and a half ago in the warmup to the 40s.

Got to love that screen name. LOL

PM Out

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Welcome

"well I stand up next to a mountain - and I knock it down with the edge of my hand

I say fly on , fly on - I am a Voodoo child" :smokin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Voodo,

Jimi is my inspirational tying music as well...especially Band of Gypsies! No harm in listening to some creative genius while searching for new patterns at the vise :devil: Dont' think twice about GL steelheading - you'll find a lot of us easterners enjoy and respect the fishery. Especially when employing a deadly fly I call "Third Stonefly from the Sun"

Welcome,

D

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
The Winter-run Shadowbox that was recently raffled off by the Forum at the Seattle show had a flashy little Orange and Purple pattern called the Spanish Castle. Rumor has it that this pattern was named after one of Jimi's songs. Rumor also has it that Kush picked right up on that :) A true fan!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Jimi was from Seattle if my rock history memory cells are working correctly.

Was he a steelie fisherman ?

PM Out

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Jimi was raised in Seattle and attended Garfield High School. I can't say for sure about the steelhead fishing. I do know that years ago, I saw a t-shirt with a rainbow color burst on the front and an afroed fly fisher. Actually not sure it was a fly fisher but I like to remember it that way. The lettering said "Excuse me while I fish the Sky!"

For those of you not familiar with Puget Sound rivers, the Sky is a nickname for the Skykomish, my home river. I didn't buy it and still regret it.

st

·
Registered
14 Posts
fish the sky t-shirt

Awesome. Wish I had one of those t-shirts too.

The "sky* reference could also apply to Jimi as it's a little known fact that he was a paratrooper - training for Vietnam before suffering an injury which lead to his dischage. Jimi also met Billy Cox in the service, who eventually replaced Noel Redding as the band's bass player on his later albums...

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I've been known to tie to little wing, which by the way sounds like a good name for a low water spey. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello Vodo and welcome this is a cool form i also like to tie to Jimmi i think on of his best tunes is red house . A few years back i got to meet and hang out with Buddy Miles his drummer in the band of gypsys very cool i dont think those guys fished steel much pretty hard to wade being on some of that [email protected]#$ thay were on but the muisc throughs down . I didnt know we had so many blues rock fans on this site. ps if you want here a great band that features Buddy check the out electric flag you wount be sorry.:)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
And a Gypsy found me there waitin' - and he gave me a Venus witch's ring. He said fly on, fly on...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right on

i also tied up some "freak flies". they are a fusion between a hex nymph with filo plume gills, thick rabbit thorax, bead eyes and wild spey hackle for legs.

"white collar conservative come flashing down the street, pointing their plastic fingers at me,...... but i'm going to swing my freak fly high".

vodoofly

P.S. the "freak fly" creation was aided by Paulaner pints

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah - Kravitz writes some good tunes, but has attempted to rip off the Jimi vibe...poorly.

MJYP - Jimi actually played a righty guitar left handed, but he did change the strings to standard tuning. I think you might be confused with Albert King (one of Jimi's idols) who strung up his axe opposite of standard to pull down on the strings rather than pushing up to bend them. A very unique style of playing...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Who are the weirdest rock muscisian or actors that fly fish ?

No one is coming to the forefront of my brain cells right now.

I know there are some. Lets hear them its still winter here, 6 inches of snow today in Chicago, woo hoo, at least there is some more on the ground to ease our drought and help to rise the rivers.

PM Out

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm surprized he is still alive. Many of the 60s and 70s rockers I saw in person, have left for Rock heaven, due to their over indulgences.

I think Clapton is a FF.

PM Out

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
That's it!

voodoofly,

I have to thank you you for raising Mr Jimi in this thread. I have been a hardcore Hendrix guy since 1969, I named my first Lab Jimi, I made my Dad crazy with posters I drew, at parties I got booed when I put Electric Ladyland on, I listened to Voodoo Child as pre-game inspiration before I played University basketball. It hasn't stopped - if you went out into my rig right now the Electric Ladyland CD is sitting in the player... queued to Voodo Child.

This discussion inspired me not to tie a new fly, but to finally give a name to my favourite fly. If you check in the Steelhead Fly Archive under "Tyler's Tubes" you can see where I renamed my black Marabou GP - the Voodoo Child - it is so perfect :smokin: as that fly is magic!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hendrix!

Black and purple are great steelhead colors indeed... How about adding some more colors... "The traffic lights tuurn blue tomorrow..." And of course, one of my favorites "Red House Blues"

pescaphile

·
fly on little wing
1,099 Posts
hey everyone

it's me again. i changed my name to the correct typing. i guess the paulaner, molson ice, anchor ale, bud, mgd, guinness, or some other ale, stout, porter, pilsner, amber, weiss, single malt, double malt, bourbon, etc fried out my spelling cells. or maybe it was the dots 20 years ago. i am now correctly the voodoofly. he!! yes.

i was thinking lately of the tunes i tie to. i definitely get inspiration from jimi and deep purple. and many new patterns are tied after some of these songs. but i also get inspiration from vivaldi. especially the four seasons. of course, the name of the songs are not as cool as what jimi has.

i have named most of my creations. i have the voodoofly (leech type pattern), the freak fly (nymph type pattern), lazy leech (deep purple machine head), and cootie bug (caddis bead pattern). i have one killer bh nymph that is mostly rabbit and pheasant without a name yet. as everyone in the universe asks, is there anyone out there like me?

voodoofly

1 - 20 of 24 Posts