Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bunch of really nice Spey rods but want more. However I want to be able to TRY a rod (for more than ten minutes) before I buy another one.

Brands I'm currently considering are Beulah, Meiser, and Sage.

There is no local fly shop within 200 miles where I can try the above rods for a week or so. Is there any way/place I could rent the rods for a week or so? (I'd be willing to pay shipping and insurance for loss or damage, etc.) Can any one help me?

Rod characteristics I'm looking for would be:

1. a relaxed action somewhat similar to the Echo Tr
2. about 12'6", +/- 6" in length
3. 6 or 7 weight
4. $600 - $900 price range
5. Fancy cork/reel seat, etc. (least important but still very desirable)

(I'd be interested in your opinion as to which of the Beulah/Meiser/Sage rods might come close to those criteria.)

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Send a note to Poppy (redshed), he's done this in the past.
w w w.redshedflyshop.com
Don't pm here, he doesn't hang out here anymore.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Gus.

Like Middlecalf said, Poppy at the Red Shed will gladly send you a rod or 2 to try before you buy, and awesome service from a top notch shop. Is see that Meiser is on your short list as well. If you give Bob a call and discuss the particulars of your fishing and your preferences for rod feel/action and lines He will be able to narrow you down to a rod or 2 from his stable of excellent sticks and will also send a rod or 2 to test drive.

You can't go wrong in speaking to either of these 2 fellas, very helpful, tons of experience helping out anglers in just your situation for many many years.

Cheers.
James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts