·
Sponsor
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's correct, SRFS can only sell it to Canadian residents. In the US we can substitute dyed Blue-Eared Pheasant for Heron along with other feathers that can create nice Spey flies.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I hate to drag another company into this post, but go to Canadian Tube Flies and check out his heron offerings. He claims the birds are plentiful in their part of the world and not listed under CITES in both Canada AND the USA. So maybe???
Just passing along his claims. These look like really nice feathers, so I'd be tempted to check with both companies and USF&W. Maybe the feathers have some sort of certificate? Worth checking. And I've seen SRFS on here before - so maybe he can fill you in. Seems like a stand-up guy.
I'd be more worried about trying to get almost any feather over the border right now due to bird flu. I think feathers have (or had?) to be certified by a Vet. Guess big operations deal with it, but hard on the small guys.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Heron is still very much illegal to have in one's possession in the USA unless one can prove it was acquired from a species of heron not native to North America and that the species of heron is also not on any CITIES, Threatened, Endangered, or other restriction in its country of origin. I you can't prove one of these, you can be fined up to $10,000.00 per feather and up to 10 years in federal prison. To me, it isn't worth the risk when there are suitable substitutes available.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First they're selling medical weed and now now we can buy heroin on here??? What's with fly fisherman these days? The tug is the drug remember?

I blame the new layout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts